Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do I cope with this pain

Choosing LifeCChoosing Life Posts: 13
edited 05/19/2014 - 6:09 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I think I posted in the wrong area, sorry I'm new. Anyway I was diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis and I feel horrible. I'm at the point now whereas I have to take med's to control the nausea. I'm not sleeping much because I can't find a comfortable spot and when I'm medicated enough to pass out the pain soon wakes me up. When I'm up out of bed I feel dizzy and nauseous and the weird headaches are the worse, it feels like pins and needles are sticking me in the back of my head. Not only does my neck hurt but my back and everything on the right side of my body hurts and what doesn't hurt is numb with a tingling sensation , if that makes any type of since at all. Well anyway, I'm sorry you all are in pain and I pray for this forum everyday. I'm scheduled to see the neurosurgeon in June but I'm wondering how in the world can I go on like this until then?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • June will be here before you know it! And then more options will be presented to you. In reading your post, I was a bit surprised. I know when I don’t physically feel well all of my issues with stenosis and myelopathy surface, but for the most part I am able to function day to day. Its not until I am at a resting point that I realize I have discomfort. I never really call it pain. As I am finding it out, these sensations are my new normal.

I wish you nothing but the best as you take this journey.
  • Can you ask to be added to the waiting list, in case an appointment with the neuro opens up? Or try your options with another practice? Or are you waiting to see the neuro you have been referred to? I always felt better (mentally) when I was planning my next steps. If not physically better, at least I would feel better knowing that I was planning and working towards where I wanted to be.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Choosing LifeCChoosing Life Posts: 13
    edited 05/24/2014 - 5:29 PM
    Thanks for your feed back. June is just about here and yes I am on the call cancellation list. I live in a small town which limits my options and yes I was referred. I'm very optimistic about my situation, it does help to vent sometimes...thanks for letting me. I hope you all are well!
  • Well my appointments went well, I'm happy to say I had a couple of better days but. So the neurosurgeon says I'll have to have the surgery but I can go with the injections or therapy first, I'm really skeptical about the injections so he ordered 6-8 weeks of therapy. Hopefully this will give me some relief because I have now started having issues on the left side, I'm feeling depressed about this whole thing, I feel like I am regressing instead of progressing. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions but I surely don't want to be bashed for my feelings...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Its hard to really comment without knowing your actual medical spinal situation. Please provide us with more details.

• - When did this start
      - What doctors did you see
      - What diagnostic tests were down and their results
      - What medications are you currently on
      - What treatments have you had to date
      - What type of physical therapy is your doctor recommending
      - What specific injections are they talking about
      - What kind of surgery are they planning
    Having answers to these type of questions helps everyone give you better responses. As far as injections, the most common is the ESI Epidural Spinal Injection. They can provide you with temporary relief from your pain. In fact many patients have very good luck that they can forgo any spinal surgery.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Choosing LifeCChoosing Life Posts: 13
    edited 07/27/2014 - 3:39 PM
    Hi Ron I hope you are well. This started about two years ago when I fell on my buttock while working, at least that's when I noticed it. Dr.'s are saying it's due to my age but I'm only 47 so I'm confused about that. So far I've seen a family practitioner, a neurosurgeon, and an orthopedic. I've had x-rays and MRI's which showed a bone spur between the c5 and c6, cervical spinal stenosis, a small linear tear in the l5, some bulging disc, and some degeneration. I've been given a lot of med's but none of them seems to work, they include Norco, Ibuprofen, Savella, Lyrica, and Naproxen. I've also been given Tordal injections at ER and whatever else they were injecting and I also take Phenergan for the nausea. Right now I'm in therapy being placed on heat and the traction machine which is the only treatment I've had besides the medication. Cortisone and antiseptic ESI is what I understand and the surgery would be to remove the bone spur. I'm scheduled for the injection on Wednesday and trust God that it will do what it is intended to do because I am in a lot of pain and really tired of taking med's that are of no affect for me. Thank you for your time and your response I appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.