Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

after TLIF op.......

a day after my op my doctors told me to push my sefl to sit and i did. but i feel verrrrrrrry verrry dizzy and its because of tramadol....
2nd day i can already step and still dizzy...
3rd day they remove the dextrose... still dizzy but mild, i can walk and stand on my own.
4th day they remove the drainage on me. and i refused to take tramadol coz i cant eat well.
5th day start feeling lots of pain on my R hip,leg down to my foot. ( my left leg is the afected)
6th day they send me home... they gave me a celebrex 400g insted of tramado.
7th day i feel very very bad. i dont feel any pain when im in bed but when stand i takes 5-10 seconds and im starting to feel a sharp, heavy pain that i cant tolerate to stand and i go back to bed.
i it takes 2 weeks. and im starting to regrets evrything...
but ater that i feel better but still in mild pain and a shrap pain once in a while... it been 2 1/2 month since my TLIF op.

• Are you doing the walking you are supposed to be doing? That immediate post op period is rough, no question about it, but you have to walk, even in small amounts , on and off all day long , and laying in bed too long is only going to prolong your ability to get back on your feet....
    I know, it's easier said than done but it truly is one of the most important parts of post op recovery, is making yourself get up and move...
    It does get better each day, but getting there is the challenge.
  • JennFuseL4S1JJennFuseL4S1 Posts: 38
    edited 05/20/2014 - 9:04 AM
    I had a TLIF L4-S1 in February and as soon as the ice melted here in the polar vortex, I started walking outside. I started with aiming for 45 minutes (I don't care how far, just how long) and now I am up to 1 1/2 hours. It isn't always fun, I have to push myself through the pain, but my surgeon says walking is the best thing I can do for my back. Along with PT, I hope to make a full recovery (knowing have lost some flexibility for life, but I am okay with that with the decreased pain). If I lay too long my back pain increases so I have to get up and walk. Keep your head up! If you are like me you have a lot invested in this surgery :). From what you said it sounds like you are having some improvement. Keep moving and remember that with a fusion it takes along time to heal. My surgeon told me at my 8 week follow up that it takes 9 months to see the full benefit of a fusion.
  • sgttlifssgttlif Posts: 4
    edited 05/20/2014 - 1:19 PM
    yes, i do walking for an hour and biking. after walking sometimes i feel a lot of pain and sometimes im pain free.... thanks sandi...
  • after your op how many weeks before you take a PT? coz my doctor told me that i dont need a therapy, but i told him that my legs feel so tight and he says it will make the pain worst. so as what kind of PT are you doing for now? and what kind of pain do you have before you had a L4S1 fusion?
  • JennFuseL4S1JJennFuseL4S1 Posts: 38
    edited 05/20/2014 - 4:14 PM
    sgttlif said:
    after your op how many weeks before you take a PT? coz my doctor told me that i dont need a therapy, but i told him that my legs feel so tight and he says it will make the pain worst. so as what kind of PT are you doing for now? and what kind of pain do you have before you had a L4S1 fusion?
    I am not sure if you are asking me about my PT, but I can tell you what I do :). The hospital was supposed to give me some exercises to do at home, but they forgot so I saw my therapist about 2 weeks post-op and 5 weeks post-op for some at home exercises. That was just simple leg lefts, marching while laying down with my stomach muscles tense, butt squeezes and stomach tense stuff. Really simple stuff, even at the time, that I could do while laying in bed.

My surgeon released me for the "real" PT on May 1st which was about 9ish weeks post-op. I am about half done with that (but I think I will need more time). My therapist works on my scar tissue, has me do a lot of leg/core strengthening exercises, and works on stretching out my hips. I lost A LOT of flexibility from the surgery which he says is normal. Before he called me hyper-flexible and now I am normal for a post-fusion person. Is your surgeon maybe waiting for evidence of bone growth of something? I know that was one of the requirements, but I didn't ask my surgeon about it when I saw him. Normally, I don't think they release you for PT until 12 weeks post-op. My therapist was surprised I was released already...

PT is super important after surgery though, so make sure to do whatever exercises you are given, or at the very least walk walk walk. I literally push myself to walk at least an hour to an hour and a half (when I started I started at 30-45 minutes). Listen to your body though because you can overdo it. And I am pretty sure I have a time or two... I also have increased pain after my walk, but I try my hardest to play the mind over matter game... I recently found out I partially dislocated a rib so that has caused some intense pain and is interfering with my walks - but I press on and enjoy the flowers and anything else pleasant on my walks :) .

Best of luck in your recovery. If you feel like you need PT your surgeon should be able to respect that... Mine has been great with any of my requests. My therapist said my surgeon is really conservative though.