Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L3-L4 Microdiscectomy Rehab - Future injury Prevention

marc2828mmarc2828 Posts: 1
edited 05/19/2014 - 7:26 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This past Friday I underwent a microdiscectomy of L3-L4 due to an extruded disc. I only had the problem for 3 months and underwent 2 epidurals. However, the pain was so immense that I had no choice. The nerve pain was accompanied by a foot drop and complete torso shift. I had the surgery at EDITED and so far I am extremely happy with the result. I have read many of the terrible pain people on this site have endured and I really cannot imagine living like that. The last 3 months was unbearable. Some nights I was thinking of calling an ambulance and was unable to catch my breath. I have read that those that have success, go on and live their lives and don't post, so I am worried about the "successful" rehab plans not being relayed. What can someone do to prevent a recurrence and future surgeries? I am looking at all sorts of books on back fitness , Yoga, Pilates, lumbar support, etc. Any legitimate rehab plans would be most appreciated.

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.

• I would suggest a brace for the first few weeks to remind you of your BLT (bending, lifting, twisting) requirements.

Best of luck,

MircoD of L4-S1 on 3/5/2014

MRI stating either re-herniation or post-op granulation tissue- 5/16

Re-herniation confirmed, ESI on 5/29
  • http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

It is important to follow the directions and instructions given to you by your surgeon, and to follow the restrictions for activities, and weight limits as directed, until you are medically cleared to resume those activities.
    If you are unsure what the restrictions are, check your discharge paperwork or call your surgeons office and make an appointment to see him to discuss any rehab activities.
    In the acute post op period, those activities are usually limited to walking as much as you can, not sitting too long or standing too long, and rest, with NO bending, lifting or twisting, and with no driving until you see the surgeon for your first post op.
    The use of a back brace is up to the individual surgeon and based on the type of surgery you had. If your surgeon did not have one for you prior to your surgery or you weren't discharged with one, then he didn't feel it was medically necessary.
    Do not do any workouts or yoga or pilates until you are told you can by your doctor.