Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wrong meds from pharmacy

So I go to the doctor for new pains and spasms in my hips, legs, shoulders and arms. So they prescribe me a muscle relaxer. I go and get it filled. Start taking the meds as prescribed when I realized my stomach felt weird, so I look up the pill. They gave me the WRONG MEDICINE!! I was supposed to get a muscle relaxer and they gave me an NSAID instead. However I am already using flector patches everyday. Now my stomach hurts. I had returned the pills and they agreed I was given the wrong meds. Is this a common occurance? I know NSAID overdose is a very dangerous thing. Should I keep an eye on my liver? Or seek an attorney if I end up in the hospital? Has anyone else had bad luck with getting the right medicine?

• I have had errors made to my prescriptions, and contacted the pharmacy right away and they corrected it with the correct medication.....they inadvertantly gave me the same muscle relaxer in two different bottles. I take two different ones, three times per day, and when I opened the bottles, found that both bottles contained the exact same medications
  • JAM661JJAM661 Posts: 121
    edited 05/20/2014 - 6:42 PM
    While I have never gotten the wrong meds from a pharmacy I image it happens all the time. Larger pharmacy have a system were they put in how many pills they want and a machine dispense that amount which also helps keep track of the medications used allowing the pharmacy to re=orders meds when low. When I get my medication especially my schedule 2 meds I step off to the side so someone can get taken care of and open the bottle to check it before I leave the area. If the medication looks different I will ask the pharmacist about it. I do the same thing if the pill count looks short. If your medication was something like morphine I doubt the pharmacist would admit there mistake especially since schedule 2 drugs requires the pharmacist to check everything twice. Once you leave the store with the wrong medications the pharmacy could say that you are the one who changed the pills so you could get more pain medication and put that in your records. Meaning good luck filling your meds anywhere because you are going to need it. They could even call your doctor about you trying to get more medications. It really should not have to be this way but you really need to be proactive and protect yourself from this kind stuff. When you are in pain and do not feel well that's the last thing you should have worry about it.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    are like Bankers, Lawyers, Mechanics, Engineers, AirlinePilots... they all can make mistakes. No one is fool proof.

I go to the pharmacist at least once a month. This has been going on for more months that I want to know about. I think I do more shopping at the pharmacist then I do anywhere else!.

In the beginning, they always told me to check my medications. I do each and every time. Where I go there are 3 different pharmacists that cover, along with 4 or 5 technicians. I open my bags, validate the prescription on the outside is the same I submitted, dose, times and count. Then I open the actual pill container to validate the pill ( I dont count them there).

This way I know before I leave if there is a problem.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • my guy gave me methadone instead of oxy. i took it back after i took some. i thought the pill changed. then i pulled of the new label and saw it said methadone. i immediately took it back and they gave me the correct meds. i also go the incorrect count once and took it back and they corrected it, no problem
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • You brought up a good point Jon. Often times I have been short changed with my Oxycodone. Never been short changed with my blood pressure med or allergy med, just the Oxycodone. Unlike you Jon, when I went back the first time it happened they would not give me the 7 pills I was short. Their policy is once you leave the pharmacy the count stands. Since then, I have had them count out the pills in front of me and on at least 2 occasions they shorted me.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.