Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going to emergency - need tips (L5/S1 disc bulge)

Hey everyone,

My dad (48) has been suffering from a disc bulge on l5/s1 (along with DDD) from Feb this year. It's been a long road and we finally found a good team to do the L5/S1 Posterior Fusion with decompression+instrumentation last month. The actual surgery is scheduled for mid June. One month left.

Recently, Dad is really showing signs of total mobility loss, he has barely enough energy to get up but has no numbness in the legs etc. We shared this with the team and they started dad on oxycontin 10mg x 2 (2 times a day) and were instructed to continue Lyrica.

Pain management only helped for a week and now Dad is not able to take it. His back feels like there are bones grinding against each other (seems like the disc is completely gone) and is having further knee, hip and leg pain (referred pain I am guessing, along with lying down all day).

We are planning to go to the private hospital emergency tomorrow to try and get the team to expedite it all since it seems he is losing all hope and is basically at his wit's end. I need some advice on if you think this is a good idea. I can't see my Dad in pain and I am afraid if we wait any longer he will end up damaging all that is left (along with having mental issues).


PS: I've looked at the list of things to take from this forum. That has helped in case we need to stay overnight for surgery.



Sign In or Register to comment.