Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica relief or other nerve medications

I started taking Lyrica 75 taken AM PM 4 weeks ago. I do not see my neurosurgeon til june 9
What kind of relief should i be feeling. I have some relief maybe 50%
But the burning down BOTH the backside of my legs to my feet is still intense at time
Should i expect 75-100%relief. Not feel this horrible incapacitating pain
Is it time for meds to bei increased
Feeling lost
Times i feel like i orchstrate my care not my dr
I see him once a month. Surgery was April 4
Thank you for sharing your experience
Fell 11ft 2007 numerous fractures broken arm, 4 head bleeds.
Nerve blocks, tried stimulator, acupuncture, massage, numerous injections, nerve blocks. Ect. Vitamins
2011 laminectomy, april 4. 2014 Fusion l5-S1. PLIF

• 64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
    edited 05/20/2014 - 11:54 PM
    Lyrica did help me but I wasn't convinced until I ran out! That's when I realized how much it was keeping the pain down. Very enlightening experience. It did not, however, relieve more than about 50% of the pain from nerve irritation and damage.
    Hang in there.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    and you will find dozens of formal medical articles about Lyrica and Neurontin as well as forum threads.
    There are too many to list here, but for more details just do a search and then you can select which ones you want to look ati.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Lyrica's dosage needs to be adjusted in steps, just as any other medication used to treat neuropathic pain...DO NOT increase the dosage on your own, nor should you ever just stop taking medications in this class without a tapering plan that you get from your doctor.
    As far as what percentage of relief you may get, once the correct dosage range has been achieved, if you are getting 50% now, you may reach 75% or more, it varies with each person a bit, but nothing is going to offer 100% of pain relief, so prepare yourself for being happy with any reduction.
    I would either contact your surgeon or whomever is prescribing your pain meds and Lyrica and ask them about increasing the dose, but again, do not increase or take more of any medication without clearing it with your doctor first.
  • MauiripperMMauiripper Posts: 38
    edited 05/23/2014 - 10:13 AM
    With a drug like this i would not increase on my own
    I dont even think i want it increased. I HATE the stoned doppy drowsy feeling.
    Do other nerve meds make you feel this way?
    Could the amytriptaline be adding to this?
    Your great thank you
    Fell 11ft 2007 numerous fractures broken arm, 4 head bleeds.
    Nerve blocks, tried stimulator, acupuncture, massage, numerous injections, nerve blocks. Ect. Vitamins
    2011 laminectomy, april 4. 2014 Fusion l5-S1. PLIF
  • Amitryptaline wiped me out, lyrica did not!
  • I agree with Sandi about calling and asking if it is alright to raise the dose. If you are sedated from it in a big way, you might want to hold off for a bit while your body gets used to the med and it doesn't make you so drowsy. I am on 75mg twice a day too and it does nothing for me as far as I can tell. My pain does not have a neuropathic quality to it, though. Anyway, there's definitely room to go up at this dosage. You won't know what further relief you can get before you have tried the higher dose.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 05/28/2014 - 12:06 AM
    Didn't realise I had already replied to this thread. Perhaps the Lyrica is affecting me after all LOL
  • As I stated earlier, ALL medications have side effects, and the dopiness will go away, but you have to stick with the medication for a week or so to give it time to go away.
    Yes, it is common for medications in this class to cause that feeling, for a time, but as with most side effects, they minimize or go away completely once your body gets used to the medication.
  • Due to soooo many SE from Lyrica I was tapered from 150mg 3x/day to 50mg2x/day over 4 wks. Then started gabapentin 100mg2x/day. Had a terrible day of unbearable pain-everywhere-not just my lowerback and legs and feet. Just felt absolutely sick. Called my GP as he's the one prescribing-still no referral to a neurosurgeon. he decided to incrementaly increase the gabapentin by 100mg a day every 3rd day until I reach 1500mg total/day. Does this make sense? How long before before effects of gabapentin kick in? Also is there withdrawal symptoms after d/c of Lyrica. Referral to pain clinic takes up to a year here!! Thanks for any help. BTW this is for DDD lumbar spine and spinal stenosis.
    Way over here in Canada!
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/11/2014 - 5:39 AM
    Gabapentin has a very wide dosage range.......100 mg to 3600 mg per day. Like all medications of this class, the dosage needs to be tapered slowly up and down, which is why your doctor wants you to increase over several days......you may start to see benefits of the medication around 300 mg , for some, it starts to relieve the neuropathic pain earlier at smaller doses and for others, it takes a larger dose.
    As for withdrawal from the Lyrica, are you still taking 50 mg twice a day? They should likely reduce you to 50 mg once per day, then either to 25 mg and off or they may just switch you over to the gabapentin.
  • I had terrible side effects with Lyrica too. It just didn't agree with me at all. I remember it took quite a while to feel 'normal' again. How long is it since you took your last dose? Fortunately the only reaction I ever had to Gabapentin was a little sleepiness when I started & increased dose. That passed quite quickly once I reached a stable dose. Good Luck! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I had surgery on oct 30th of last year, just had a checkup with surgery doc, everything is great in my back. But I have numbness in my feet and legs, sometime severe sometimes not. This is not from a failed back surgery, by the way.
    I went to a neurologist and am under going testing to see where the neuropathy is coming from, and she increased my Neurontin from 300mg three times a day to 900 three times a day. Feet don't really get unnumb but pain decreases, and I can sleep ok. Do what the dr says, don't change your dose on your own, just call and tell them whats happening, maybe dr will want to see you earlier to see if the pain is coming from what you had done, or something else, there are things you can do.
    Sheila Coughtry
  • I'm now weaning off Lyrica. It didn't seem to help my pain but it did help me put on 11 kg (24lbs) in the space of about a month.
  • I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. The good thing about the weight gain, at least for me, was that once I stopped the lyrica, I went right back to my old weight, within a month......and I gained more than you did.....so once you are off it, you will likely find that the weight falls off. I wonder if it is fluid build up? For it to come off so easily after stopping the Lyrica, there must be some water/fluid aspect to it.
  • Sandi, it is encouraging to hear that the weight fell off you. It would make sense if there was a fluid retention aspect since Lyrica can cause peripheral edema and things like that. Perhaps instead of a swollen foot, I've got a swollen gut? :)
  • Years ago I was on Gabapentin for FM/RLS. Then they tried Lyrica to see if I would getter greater relief. Instead I gained a lot of water weight and had problems with swelling of hands/ankles. Gave it up, lost the weight, went back to Gaba with a new doc who knows what he is doing with it and I am much happier.

Just My Opinion (JMO)

ACDF 3 Level 5/28/2014
    PLIF L4/L5/S1 4/2013
  • It may be.......LOL
    There is some saving grace to the weight coming right back off, everyone thinks you have this amazing diet secret.....and I guess we do, it is called side effects. :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" />
  • I have never used Lyrica, but PM doctor put me on Cymbalta, and I am doing great with it. It is a antidepressent and is also used to treat nerve pain. I am 30MG once a day, and I have no pain. It is doing great for me and have no side effects. I have tried Gabapentin and worked good at first, then had to keep upping my dose till it did not work at all for me no more. Just thought I would put that in.

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
    Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
    DDD, Thyroid Disease
    Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
    SI Joint dysfunction
  • I must be the only person who LOST weight on Lyrica. It made me so sick! Savella was the worst for me as far as side effects go. Cymbalta & Gabapentin were the easiest, just a little sleepiness at the start.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I like Cymbalta, but I take it for the depressive component of my bipolar disorder, rather than for nerve pain. I have taken it for longer than I have had pain issues. I have noticed my pain is a bit worse when I run out of Cymbalta. I take 120mg a day, all in the morning. I felt ill the first few days on it but no side-effects since.