Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello

Hi, My name is Roisin.
I'm 18 and suffer from alot of back pain.
It all started in my early teens due to a fall on my knee and got progressively worse as the years went by due to doctors not believing my pain as I was 'too young to have back pain'.
April last year I finally had someone last to me and received an MRI scan, the next week I was on the operating table, I had a lumbar microdisectomy of L4,L5,L5s1 and had my nerve released as I was walking with a stick due to no feeling in leg anymore. The surgeon said my back was degenerated to the age of a 80/90 year olds back.. The surgery was a success and I got full mobility and use back to the point I was able to go back to sport and everything was great. In december I emigrated to Australia from Ireland to study, it was all going well until about a month ago and one morning I woke up with excruiating pain..I went to my chiropractor and my lower discs were herniated again, My leg was shooting pains and it was like de ja vu. I was back at the chiropractor every day for two weeks and lived on heat packs and massages..it eased enough to let me start moving again but still not right, not satisfied I found a new chiropractor this week, he performed a posture scan and xrays of my full spine...I've lost 120% of my spinal curve on the top..meaning it is now curving the wrong way, my head is shifted 6cm forward and my shoulders are 4cm..
I feel so over it. I'm only 18 but already can't do so much stuff...due to the fault of doctors I may now not be able to live a full life..
is there anyone else out there who has simliar symptoms that could provide some words of wisdom!

Thanks!

advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I'm sort of confused when you say, "due to the fault of doctors I may now not be able to live a full life." You mentioned the surgeon said you have the spine of a 80/90 year old.
    Well Roisin I was told the same a long time ago. After several surgeries over the past years to stabilize various areas of my spine and other extremities I battle back to be better than I was pre-op.
    We cannot blame others for the hand we were dealt. What we can do is be well educated advocates of our own health issues and keep digging to find the right people to help manage what is best for ourselves. I learned so much from so many within this site that has given me confidence and awareness of what is available to me.
    For years I stayed "within my comfort zone" not venturing out of my primary care physicians health facilities. But as time went on I felt as if they sort of abandoned me when it came to my spine issues. Listening to several people including many members here got other opinions from doctors that I had researched their background, I am so grateful to the internet!
    Now I am fortunate enough to have access to one of the best medical health centers in the world along with the best caregivers that staff that facility. I am now 6 weeks out of a major cervical spine surgery and doing just great.
    My spine issues started in my early 20's, I am now a lot older than that and I still do live a full life so don't give up. You can too, you just have to want it bad enough like I do. Sure I have my times when I'm down, most of us do, but you got to pick your self back up and set goals you can attain. When you achieve those goals just push a little further, you will be amazed on what you can accomplish.
    Take care,
    Ranger
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 05/21/2014 - 3:46 AM
    for one thing, i would not recommend going to a chiropractor after back surgery. they are the worse people to go to. you should continue to see your surgeon and i have issues with people blaming others especially doctors. for one thing, the doctor is not here to defend himself and we only get one viewpoint of what happened. doing this gives a bias perspective on what happened. doctors spend years and alot of money to get trained. they have to be smart to go to medical school and they spend 4 years in school plus at least 4 years of residency to become doctors. so i would ease up on the criticisms of doctors. your problems might have stemmed from your chiropractor and not your surgeon. this is just an opinion and an observation that comes from your post.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    I would strongly recommend staying away from chiropractors. They are not properly trained to deal with disc and spinal nerve issues..
    Having a back of an 80 year old has become a coined phrase. A doctor friend of mine actually told me that he has seen the back/spine of an 80 year old and it looks great, like a 20 year old.
    You need to move ahead, get the proper treatment this way you can live much more of a full life, if you dont do what you should, then it would be the fault of your own to not live a full life.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com