Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, new member with lower back problem

Hello

I've been having problems with my back for about 7 months now and I was wondering if anyone would have any clue as to what could be going on with it...it's really starting to worry me and affect my life but after reading loads of articles on different back problems I am still unsure what it could be...this is what happened:

7 Months ago I started to get sharp pain in the base of my spine seemingly out of nowhere, after sitting for long periods it would take a few steps before I could walk properly/upright, then after about a week the pain started to subside.

Then when I thought it was going I woke up one morning and found I could barely walk, my legs kept on collapsing and it felt like someone was driving a spike to through the base of my spine, I didn't have any pain in my legs though.

My doctor said that my muscles were spasming and prescribed Diazepam/Valium and said it was probably a slipped disc and it would sort itself out after about 6 weeks.

It did slowly start to get better and I could walk again but sitting down was and standing up was still a problem and I couldn't lift any weight and so went to see a physio who said I was really stiff and gave me exercises to do.

I've been doing my exercises for a few months but my condition seems to remain the same or sometimes get worse, about 6 weeks ago it started to get really bad again and so went to see an osteopath who said my lower back muscles are really tight and has essentially been massaging them which hasn't really had much affect...

I'm really not sure what to do next, it's completely taking control of my life no-one seems to be able to say what exactly is causing the problem.

Any ideas on what to do or has anyone experienced anything similar?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Have you had any diagnostic tests? 7 months is a long time to be struggling with a 'tight muscles' diagnosis. Until you know what's actually going on with you these therapists are just shooting in the dark. I think it's about time for an MRI to find out if you have any spinal damage. "slipped disc" is an old fashioned phrase covering everything from a bulging too severely herniated disc. Without an MRI they don't know. I've always had success with standard muscle relaxants Tizanidine, Baclofen etc. trigger point injections are also good for me but as I said you don't know if you're just dealing with muscle issues.

Good luck & welcome. Let us know how you get on. Any kind of back pain can be a nightmare to live with!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • my advice would be to get a professional opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon and maybe some medical photography a ;;slipped disc;;wont sort itself out .that term is a laylerm for many spinal problems .you need professional advice .good luck and don't rush in to surgery consider conservative options first .I am speaking from 17 years of spinal pain 3 major operations and still having to take massive amounts of opiates to get through the day .
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Seven months is a long time, so I hope you can have some diagnostic tests unless you already have.
    I have been struggling with back pain for almost two years. I had all the diagnostic tests that my doctor could think of, and even though I had a pain pump installed in my back to assist with the pain, doctors have been able to point to a certain thing and say, Yes, that's what's causing your pain. I have my own ideas, but again, no diagnostic test confirming anything. I was surprised to know that this happens, and I struggled with not knowing a cause for the pain. I wish I hadn't been concerned about it- I've still been able to get treatment. I hope they do find a cause for your pain, but if they don't, just know that you can still get treatment!
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • Hello,
    I hope you have decent insurance,I have had 4 major back surgeries DDD over the past 24 years,donot let this worry you ,the advancements today are amazing but you need to go to the right dr. You need to see a neurosurgeon and tell him your situation,he may suggest a MRI.Do not mess around with no longer,they can do amazing stuff with the back if it is caught soon,you still have that window so I would ask my dr. for a good nero. and get checked out If you can go to a big city dr.
    I have been living with this for 24 years and have had chronic back pain for about 13 years now,you do not have to do that.
    I would be glad to answer any questions you have. Remember this: pills can ease pain but it can not cure back pain,I do not like the advice your dr. gave you and shame on him for letting this go on for more than 3 or 4 months.
    good luck
advertisement