Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newly Diagnosed with Myofasial Pain Disorder

Hi All,
I was seen twice recently by a Dr. And a NP. Finally got a new name for my condition as well. The first Dr. I saw looked me squarely in the eye and told me I will be in pain the rest of my life! Also, I am not a candidate for shots and she referred me to another pain clinic for " meds". So, went to clinic and they changed my meds, some of them, and scheduled accupuncture, an emg and trigger point injections.
I was unsure what to expect, but am sort of glad that I know more about what's been going on with my neck. The pain is only partly managed now and I was told I have to wait for emg to get any more pain relief. So, part of me is relieved and a new chapter opens for me to live out.
Myofasial Pain Syndrome is a unique condition that I developed after an injury at work. What's next?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    many people deal with this condition

Fortunately, it can be managed through series of trigger point injections, medications and very important, physical therapy that concentrates on stretching. Massage therapy has also been effected in managing this condition. You will many times hear about Myofasial Pain Syndrome (MSP) with the same term Fibromyalgia

What can also help is proper posture and a correct ergonomic environment. For the pain, some patients will require low dosages of oxycodone or tramadol. For some people, they get good results from anti-seizure medications such as Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Pregabalin (Lyrica)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • What was your injury at work that caused this? How did the doctors make the diagnosis?
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • I had a pt. Lifting injury to my neck. I have tried conservative measures and finally went to a pain mgmt Dr. 2 of them! One diagnosed me with myofasial pain disorder- and then sent me to another facility that could properly treat it. I do believe that the diagnosis is right on. I have so many symptoms. It's been almost a year without an accurate plan. So now I am starting a new treatment plan. There have been several days where the conservative meds, non narcotic, have been inadequate to manage the pain. I called my new care givers and let them know. I am starting accupuncture next week, massage and following week; and then an emg. I am hoping for the best. One day at a time.
  • I have this too--I'm sure most of us have it. It can be painful but manageable.I have found the only thing that works for it is a good massage and a firm one at that....
  • Lmr106LLmr106 Posts: 119
    edited 05/28/2014 - 3:43 PM
    Hi Taren and Litgrn,

I think I have this, but don't have it as a diagnosis. I think my diagnosis is upper thoracic pain, because that is where my pain started. I have been doing massages weekly for almost two months now, and usually feel the better the day of. (There were two times it was like I'd had nothing done, no sense of release and loosen muscles from the massage.) I don't notice the effects of the massage past the day of. Some of my health care workers have recommend acupuncture....how is it working for you Litgrn? I'm glad you have an accurate plan- even after having a pain pump installed, I feel like I don't have an accurate plan.n
  • LitlgrnLLitlgrn Posts: 22
    edited 05/30/2014 - 3:18 PM
    I have had one accupuncture treatment so far. Massage every week . Very deep tissue as well. I am not sure about the accupuncture though. I feel pain still. I do feel clearer. Like my fogginess is gone. That's great. The pain remains. I was very sore after treatments as well. I will continue both. I am hoping for something more to reach the breakthrough pain. It remains and makes me very irritable as well. I do believe that it is the "blend" of treatments that becomes effective.
    Let me know how it goes for you.
  • Hi,

How long have you been having the massages for? My massage therapist has recently raised the issue of increasing the times I see her per week. She thinks if I was able to come in three times a week we could really make some progress. However, my insurance has a $50 co-pay each time I have a session. The most I could try it for is probably about three weeks, but more likely just two weeks. I trust her opinion and she said that right now she's just maintaining my muscles with only one session and there's really no progress being made. I do know that if I increased to three times a week there is no way that I could do acupuncture, because my insurance does not cover that at all. Let me know how you were doing and how a combined acupuncture and massage are doing at assisting with your pain.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 06/06/2014 - 7:07 AM
    I have managed these symptoms really well (the only thing I do have a good handle on really!) after years of suffering I found that this 'Blend' works really well for me..

Trigger/pressure point injections (ice immediately after) followed by a routine of stretches & exercises (very important). Muscle relaxants & good pain managent stop it from returning for a good 6 months or longer. I found that massage helps but it's an expensive luxury. Without the shots (lidocaine, steroids &/or Botox) or PT or meds nothing works. It takes a combination for me.

Good luck guys.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.