Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior vs Anterior cervical surgery

Almost two years ago I had a C5-C7 ACDF. My recovery was pretty unremarkable, Miami J hard collar for 6 weeks, I returned to my desk job after 3 weeks, and never had many problems controlling my pain after surgery. The eventual outcome of the surgery was that I did not fuse and my pain started to return after about a year. In two weeks I am having a revision surgery however this time the surgeon is going to do it from the posterior approach. This surgeon is doing this for a number of reasons with the main one is that I have some posterior spuring that can only be approached from the posterior. The surgeon told me that this is going to be a much rougher surgery to recover from and that I will need to be off work for a minimum of 6 weeks. Anyone out there give me an idea of what to expect? My wife told me that I am begining to obsess over this surgery and I need to stop looking at things on the internet. I tell her that since I am a project manager I spend my life building worst case scenarios so I can be prepared to deal with them.

Thanks in advance!

2012 C5-C7 ACDF with fixation - failed to fuse
June 2014 - Planned revision surgery