Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why I need this so much..

So... I'm waiting to go in for surgery. Gallbladder disease & kidney's infected, stones a plenty! I'm very frightened & as usual I turn here to take my mind off of the pain & to calm the rising fear. Sometimes I have the 'it's not fair!' thoughts..as if chronic spine pain isn't enough. We should be somehow immune to all the other 'stuff' that can plague the human body but I worry that all the stress & strain of chronic pain & all the medications make us more susceptible to other ailments.

To be honest I can't wait to be unconscious, just to have a little break from the unrelenting pain will be wonderful. What new torments will I wake to? I don't know. I just hope I can get this behind me & move on with my familiar 'devil'. Yep! It's that bad that I just want to get back to my back! ;-)
Osteoarthritis & DDD.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 05/23/2014 - 5:38 AM
    I am sorry to see this added complication to everything else you are living with, wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • anelsen15 said:
    Well EG this should be a breeze compared to back surgury right?
    I have heard that other than knee replacement surgery, back surgery is the most painful. You got this :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    is the most painful surgery. You always have to add the recovery time involved with any of those surgeries. Some recovery is also more difficult and painful than others.
    I have been fortunate or not fortunate to have many of these surgeries. Plus I have had the opportunity to talk one on one with many surgeons regarding these surgeries.

In terms of the most difficult/painful surgery to have and recover from:

• - Complete shoulder replacement with implants
      - Several Lumbar Fusion procedures
      - Complete knee replacements with implants
      - Cervical surgeries
      - Complete hip replacements with implants
      - Several one/two day lumbar surgeries to address stenosis and degenerative disc disease situations
    I never had a lumbar fusion, but several cervical, so I I can not speak directly regarding a lumbar fusion. But in terms of recovery time, for each of my total shoulder replacements, the recovery time was about 18 months. And then there was an additional 9 months of various exercises and restrictions before the shoulder returned to about 75% of its prior self. I was very fortunate, between my surgeon and my dedication to recovery, that I have about 95% of what my shoulder could be.

But any major surgery is a challenge and the overall picture can be painful
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • For me my second surgery was less painful than the first, even though it was more invasive. I think part of that has to do with the fact that I was more aware of what i should and shouldn't expect.
  • In those post op hours when they're shooting me up with all they've got the latest is always the worse..but I'm a big baby! I hurt a lot today but I can already feel that this is going to be so much easier from now on. Pain is funny. The blinding intensity will fade. It's post op recovery that we remember in the long term. When it lasts weeks it doesn't endure in my memory as much. Most people say child birth is the worse pain ever but that's a vacation compared to any operation recovery for me!

I was really lucky I've got 4 incisions, 2 medium, 2 small. I was prepared for the worst..a big line down the middle but it's much, much better! I think I'm looking at weeks not months recovery but it will be complete recovery. The sort that's fades & leaves only scars..YES!!

If we had caught this earlier it would of been key hole surgery & you get cleared to drive & normal 3 days average with that. I'm not allowed to go further than the loo for 3 days & waddle around the house in 7. Listen to your bodies guys!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • my gall bladder was scoped my kidney stones were all with a scope to take the stones out . they tried to bath but i had too many stones and the hydroscopic pressure from the urine back up split my kidney so the bath was out. back surgery lumbar fusions were the most painful. the first was the worse pain. i had the pain machine for 3 days then oral meds and patches for 7 days, 10 days total in hospital. later eg, i will tell you of the major side effects i had with gall bladder surgery where i almost bit the farm.
    good luck
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Englishgirl best of luck with your surgery! You will be fine.Gall bladder surgery is usually done keyhole so hopefully this will mean you have a quicker recovery :)

We all have different pain threshold and what's a really painful operation to one person, isn't to another......

My friend has recently had a fusion and she only felt 8/10 pain for the first two days after then she said it dropped to a 5/10 and so on...
    Other people ive spoke to have said spinal fusion was 10/10 pain for many days!

I asked my spinal surgeon yesterday which was more painful a hysterectomy or a spinal fusion?
    He said spinal fusion "gulp" so I don't know maybe it is one of the most painful surgery you can have???
    Not sure I could handle the pain of a fusion, but I may have to have one later this year. Have exhausted all treatments!

Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • anelsen15 said:
    I work with guy had neck fusion back to work in week , no pain meds. Just had microd and back to work with long hrs standing in 3 days. Sometimes it's not that big of a deal it seems

I don't know any spinal Doc that would tell you Spinal surgery isn't a big deal!
    Even if you feel well, as a Physio tech myself, I wouldn't recommend going back to work a week after a cervical fusion...
    Im pretty sure no GOOD Spinal Doc would recommend that either.
    It takes six months for the fusion to be complete so your only putting your fusion at risk if you go back to work to early.
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • I was told that the best possible surgery would of been key-hole (is that just the UK phrase..he called it laparoscopically or something?) I would be released to drive after a week. The worst would be cut down the middle & completely opened up & that would be 6 months. I'm somewhere in the middle. He cut around the outside..4 incisions like a smiley face on its side ;-) ha ha.

The really frightening thing is knowing I nearly died. For the last 8 years I have pushed through terrible pain. Away from this forum I've been a bit like Jon... Keep a smile on your face. Just keep going. I have to function for my kids. I have no choice. At some point I have got used to moving & pretending/convincing myself that the pain is tolerable & manageable. Last Friday the physical pain nearly won. I lay on the sofa with my daughter trying to find someone to take care of my kids so I could phone an ambulance. At one point I was sure I was having a heart attack. I couldn't find anyone & managed to push through. The most STUPID thing I have ever done! I kept going all weekend..DUMB!!! I went to my doc & was rushed for a scan & transferred immediately to ER for emergency surgery. I allowed apathetic ER staff to convince me that everything from kidney infection to being too thin & healthy for this to be happening was reason to go home. I didn't 'look' like I was in enough pain!
    They have still not sent reports or returned phone calls from my doc! We lost days trying to sort out the mess & trying to figure out why I couldnt have surgery. A new surgeon was found. He was shocked that surgery hadn't happened on Monday & could find no reason why they had postponed. By the time I was in the operating room it had become truly critical. This would of been minor surgery if caught earlier. There is fault with the ER staff but this must of been developing for months. My tolerance to pain & my pig headed determination to "just keep swimming" with a smile on my face was very nearly deadly.

Pain happens for a reason. Sometimes it should incapacitate you. In the past I've pushed through back pain resulting in permanent nerve damage... When will I ever learn? Enduring & hiding pain isn't noble, strong or brave. Sometimes it's plain STUPID!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've always taken really good care of myself but now I'm falling apart! I can't help but wonder how much chronic pain & stress has contributed to my current predicament???
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Pretend that you are someone else. You see this woman posting on this forum being very hard on herself for something that's not her fault. What would you say to her?
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak