Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tingling Represents Nerve Regeneration?

I had my ACDF C5/C6 on April 10th. I have experienced a fair amount of progress so far, mostly in the form of pain going away. For the past three or four days, I've been experiencing a tingling sensation, primarily in my hands. Today, it seems stronger than the previous days. Is this a sign of nerve regeneration or of further nerve compression? It came on after I carried something weighing 19-pounds, rather than sticking to my surgeon's five-pound weight restriction, so I'm not sure if it's just coincidental or if it's a sign I caused some damage. Anyone have a similar experience with nerve regeneration?

• There is no way for anyone to guess the cause of the increased pain but there is a potential that you may have caused some other nerve compression by lifting almost 4 times the weight you are supposed to.
    I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but those restrictions are there for your recovery's protection.......and if I were you, and the symptoms continue, I would make sure to see my surgeon as soon as possible.
  • Thanks for the response. I talked to my surgeon's nurse on Friday. She had checked with my surgeon about my blunder and the tingling that followed. Basically, he said not to worry, that I had probably just aggravated something. I told her about the tingling on the back of my hands, etc., and she said that was normal. I was supposed to have my next follow-up appointment this Friday, but the nurse literally just called and asked if I could come Monday instead. So obviously, they aren't overly worried that I hurt something. I hope they are right! Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/01/2014 - 4:12 PM
    I am both relieved and happy for you, that it appears that nothing is amiss. I understand, wanting to get back to doing things we did before the surgery, and especially when things have had to be let go of leading up to it, but please, for your own sake, be diligent about following the restrictions .......it will benefit you in the long run.
  • I am looking forward to my follow-up appointment this afternoon. For the most part, I am doing well and have experienced improvement of many of my symptoms. Unfortunately, I aggravated things a bit last night -- I didn't lift anything. I just moved something heavy with my foot. It was one of those instances where I just did something without thinking about it. I certainly was not thinking the effects would be felt further up my spine. As a result, I have some return of symptoms. I am so glad it happened right before my appointment. Hopefully, the x-rays will show everything is still in place and healing nicely and my surgeon (or his PA) will say I just irritated something and it will pass in time. From now on, I won't do ANYTHING without thinking first!
  • I just returned from a follow-up appointment at my surgeon’s office. According to today’s x-rays, fusion is very nearly complete. Within another one to two weeks, it should be finished. That will be around the nine-week point. I no longer have to stick to a five-pound lifting restriction. I can move up to 15 pounds now. And in another couple weeks, I can go back to doing things like mowing my lawn. If I overdo it, I can expect to suffer muscle soreness for a few days, along with a return of some of my symptoms. That may be that way for a while, but it's perfectly normal. Nerve regeneration is still going on and I am hopeful I will regain all that I lost. I still have quite a ways to go, but at least I am well on the road to recovery! Oh, and I don't have to go back for any follow-up visits.
This discussion has been closed.