Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain after decompression surgery on 05/21/2014

sherbear3737ssherbear3737 Posts: 2
edited 05/26/2014 - 6:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Is it normal to have pain down my left side to my knee after having decompression surgery on L3/L4 & L4/L5 for spinal stenosis. I can't take pain meds because they all make me sick.

The leg pain went away for a day but now is back....Is this normal after having back surgery.

• Welcome........the short answer is yes.......since this was a decompression, it means that the nerve was pinched or compressed prior to the surgery and now the compression is relieved so the nerve is a bit mad.........it should settle down, but it can.take a few weeks to a few months, depending on how long it was compressed

• And I am sadly still waiting for the nerves to calm down
    My nerves must be very very "mad"LOL
    have hope and faith
  • PGCalGalPPGCalGal Posts: 1
    edited 06/01/2014 - 4:48 AM
    Hi Sherbear. I came on-line here to ask about the same question. I too had lumbar surgery recently - mine was on 5/20. I had L 3/4 4/5 laminectomies and L 3/4 discectomy - all micro. My surgeon said he decompressed 6 nerves? So after reading operation report I am assuming he released bilateral nerves at L3, L4 & L5. My 2 week follow up is one day early, tomorrow. I'm anxious to hear what is next. I was very good/careful first 5 days. Slowly started adding more "up time" - kind of walking/puttering. I became aware that I was up a lot, but since not "walking" wasn't really counting it as walk time? So started a recording/journaling better. One small pad for meds, one larger pad for activity. Activity being anything from timed sitting, to standing/puttering, to actual walking. The last 3 days I've been going out into the neighborhood for my walks. Yesterday I walked 21 minutes in the morning and 20 more in the evening. I find I do my best walking in the morning when I'm my most rested. Walking doesn't always feel good. First day I walked 5 minutes out with husband and dogs and turned around. Thought, wow, only 10 minutes? Then rethought that and said "10 minutes is good!". I am consistently encourage myself - ha. So with longer walks, first 5 minutes feel fine - not painless, but okay, then different pains start in. I am always assessing the pain. I find myself trying to walk a little larger step to mix it up and see if that helps? And I count my steps sometimes... 1-10, 1-20, etc to keep my mind off the pain. Each of us is different. Trying to know good pain from bad/overdoing it pain is the thing. Hard to tell sometimes. I find if next day I'm hurting, then probably overdid it. ; / It's a day by day learning process. And some days I'm stronger, some days weaker/or tired. These nerves that have been decompressed are sometimes inflamed, irritated, weak. Muscles were weak too. I'm thinking that the length of time they were pinched/compressed might be the same amount of time they will require to heal/regenerate? So, yeah...I re-injured my back in July 2013. I was an active 55 year old, overweight and had just lost 21 pounds (was working out at gym 3-4 days per week, doing lots of yard work/gardening, enjoyed being busy and home projects). Had MRI right away and did PT until about 2 months before surgery. Used inversion table, massages and one steroid injection. Legs started getting heavy/weak in November. So I think my nerves were compressed for about 6 months. How about you?
  • I am in the same boat, I have had a L5/S1 discectomy and im 4 months post op and my leg is still hurting, its so dam frustrating! I just want it better, I just hope the nerve settles down soon cos its driving me absolutely nuts!!
  • depending on how long the nerve(s) were compressed, and how extensive the damage is. Nerves regrow at a rate of about 1-2mm per month, so for some of us, it can take a very long time before we see the nerve pain subside. That doesn't mean that it won't get better over the months, but it can take a long time. I am still seeing some improvement and my first surgery was 8 years ago........yes I had extensive nerve damage.