Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 surgery recovery period

MohitMMohit Posts: 2
edited 05/29/2014 - 11:09 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had L5, S1 surgery ( Fusion) done in February, 2014 and its been 3 months and 2 weeks and I am still suffering from substantial pain. If I don't take my meds three times a day,I am unable to move around the house. I cant even go out and enjoy my family parties or have good time with my friends in city.
Sometimes I feel more pain what I had before surgery but thanks to my meds that keeps my pain under control without them I dont think so I can function.

I have been to my surgeon assistant twice after my surgery and he said the nerves around my disc which I haven't used earlier are now being used and that generates the pain but I told him that I am having a same pain which I had before at the exact same location. He kept saying to me that there is inflammation around the disc and nerves that is causing pain.

Its been almost four months after my back surgery and I havent experience 10% improvement. Its a big let down for me. I cant live like a normal human and I am in agony all the time.

Can anyone advise me feed back.....

• Carl OswaldCCarl Oswald Posts: 66
    edited 05/26/2014 - 11:51 PM
    It is different for everyone.. I had open lumbar surgery for L3 thru S1.. and didn't experience any abnormal pain at all until 5 months after surgery.. Then totally went downhill for the past 4 months.. Now suffer with severe Sciatic and Radicular pain as well as paralysis worse than before surgery.. Finally, my pain seems to be less severe but the weakness in my legs persists.. Physical Therapy from a trained professional helps along with alot of ice packs.. Good luck.
  • Jar123JJar123 Posts: 3
    edited 05/29/2014 - 5:07 AM
    That sounds EDITED Mohit. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and am feeling pretty much zero pain. I started walking the second day after surgery though and have increased to about 100 mins per day 2 weeks later. Maybe try some gentle walking every day and build up even if it hurts, I am of the opinion if you let it sit it wont heal properly, but hey everyone's different. Good luck with everything.

Post edited by Sandi- the use of foul, obscene or vulgar language is NOT permitted on Spine Health.

• I was told by my surgeon and other members on this forum the more you walk and move around (without overdoing it) the better you recovery chances will be. I can tell you from my experience I got out of bed and started to walk about five hours after I got to my room in the hospital. I will not lie it hurt but the more I moved the better I felt. Good luck
    alif l4-s1
  • Discectomy? Laminectomy? Fusion? Hemilaminectomy? It really depends on the type and extensiveness of the surgery you had.
    For the best surgery outcomes, you need to follow the post op activity and restriction levels , and walk, walk, walk , and walk some more. No matter how painful it is in the beginning, the more you do, the better the symptoms become and the more you increase your endurance and strengthen those muscles.
    The decreased activity levels prior to surgery, then an extended post op period of inactivity only leads to more problems down the road.
  • if it was a fusion, did you wear a brace? i had to wear one for all of my fusions. i dont know about other types of back surgeries but you need to follow doctors orders and directions to the letter. if not, you could be in trouble and get problems down the road and they will be worse. i recommend seeing your doctor immediately and tell him what is going on and follow his directions. if you have a brace wear it. mine was for 4 months the first fusion and yes i wore it at work the last one i had to wear for a month.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • americanwoman49aamericanwoman49 Posts: 3
    edited 06/15/2014 - 5:19 AM
    Today is day 9. I spent 3 nights in the hospital po- surgery. Medicine directions is two daludid every 3 hours as needed for pain. And flexril 3x day. I turned down the Valium for spasms. I am set up for my needs of a shower chair. A reacher claw and a pretty savy piece to help me pull my leg up to the bed. Today I took the meds once, that was at 10 am. I try not to speak pain over myself and repeat positive things not seen but yet to come. I wear the brace when I am out of bed and I don't sit no longer than 20 mins recommended. I eat good foods and drink 1 ensure a day. I started taking EDITED You can look it up for its benefits. I told myself I will not let the meds control me. My right lower leg hurts to touch the skin? I'm guessing its nerves due to the fact it was numb for almost a year. I don't feel like I'm going to snap in half right now. So it makes me smile to know something went right. I feel weak in my right leg and it shakes inside as if I had worked out for hours. I have voltaren gel which I put on the topical irritation. I'm giving this temporary agony over to The Lord. I'm taking back my life and if it means buying alternative meds to help then I will. Pain medicine ruins not just our lives but the lives around us. I don't know what else I can expect for this temporary journey accept to know we all heal differently and what works for me might not work for others. Where I had surgery I just looked around and thought back pains of America. Here is to a healthy recovery, positive influences and when you are feeling down. Read a good book EDITED. There is hope, there is taking your life back and there are resources and alternatives to help you get your life back. Most importantly it's having the right thinking attitude put in to action. Speak a healing over your body and pain and depression and remember everything is temporary. Here is to hope and healing. Here's to good days ahead and bad days put behind.

Post edited by Sandi
    6.02 Do NOT identify specific places of business or establishments
    5.08 You agree not to engage in religious or political discussions.
  • DaisycreekDDaisycreek Posts: 9
    edited 06/22/2014 - 3:21 AM
    I agree with a few of the previous posters, you really have to get moving right after surgery, a first you may only be able to walk a small distance. If you can't go very far then do it every few hours. The first months are hell.. but you gotta push! By 2 months post surgery I was walking 2 miles... slowly, painfully but doing it. I also found that modified aqua aerobics in the pool helped with my pain. I stopped all pain medicine after 2 weeks. using only muscle relaxers at night. At 6 months I am jogging in the pool, walking and am able to do @ 2 hrs at a time of push mowing the lawn. kayaking 4 hours. I do take @ 400 mg of ibuprofen per day.

I think we all go through that phase of depression.. and the feeling that it still hurts.. why isn't it getting better... but I would say at least 60% is being positive and determined that you are not going to let this get the better of you! yes, easy to say.. but you just have to tell yourself that its a process and each day you are closer to "normal" and getting stronger!

Just last week, which was 6 months to the day I was amazed that all of a sudden I was back to walking "normal" again!
    But even now if I sit too long .I begin to feel stiff...... but I just get up & move.

This was my 2nd spine surgery, 3 level PLIF with hardware on nov 18th 2013 & bone graft fusion 1 level in 2003