Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain was almost gone until...duplicate thread

eileensioweeileensiow Posts: 8
edited 05/28/2014 - 5:33 PM in Lower Back Pain
After suffering from slipped disc (l3,l4,l5) + spinal cyst (chronic pain sufferer) for 5 years; i've decided to take charge of my life after constant battling depression, chronic pains sometimes excessive, difficulty in maintaining my job and almost no social life.

About 2 months ago, i started to do daily walks after work. Each day i would walk and stretch for an hour or so. Surprisingly, i find that walking works a lot. My pain reduced by 70-90%. It only hurts if i bend the wrong way etc but the pain wasn't constantly there at all! For almost a month I was so happy!

I also changed my diet to less sugar, carb, processed food to high protein + more vegetables diet. The new diet made me less tired and made me feel i have more energy therefore i was able to push myself to do my daily walks.

BUT.... yes there's always a but!

Less than a month ago, I started taking sleeping pills (zolpidem) daily. I started to have insomnia feb 2014 but only took sleeping pills 3+ weeks ago!!

and BAM!

My chronic lower back pains came back again gradually! Few days later it came back in FULL FORCE. I was so depressed because it meant i was back to square one again!

I have just stopped taking sleeping pills but my pains are still there. I am wondering if its possible what im doing previously could be placebo? I want to be hopeful but battling pain daily for 5 years kinda deters you from positive outlook!!!!

Post locked........see original thread in Chronic Pain forum.
5.11 You agree not to make duplicate threads.

• crafterccrafter Posts: 29
    edited 05/27/2014 - 11:48 AM
    ... not the ambling around, clothes or grocery shopping type walking, the more purposeful "I'm going out to walk" walking. I don't seem to get long term benefits, but quite often while I'm walking, and sometimes for a short time after, the pain lessens to bearable. My healthcare people are happy for me to walk and do other exercise - have yours commented?
  • PinkellaPPinkella Posts: 211
    edited 05/27/2014 - 12:59 PM
    The power of the mind?!placebo!funny you should mention this I've just watched a programme about people who claim to heal others through their healing hands or inner chai powers -a lot of people were healed through treatments with these people cancer tumours ect gone after a month.
    But the big question is, are these people healing themselves through the power of the mind,believing that the treatment will work,or is it the healing hands they went to??
    We still don't use our mind and brain to the full mental capacity,that we do know,so yes anything is possible ,placebo? With your walking yes it could be that or it could be that your back has had a typical pain flare, out the blue for no reason which can often happen with backs,but it doesn't mean your back won't calm down again ,I'd carry on with the walking if your able it may well help again in time .....
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.