Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Reherniated L5/S1 - second discectomy or fusion?

Jo_vdhJJo_vdh Posts: 27
Hi All,

It's been some time since my last post about my back problems and while I'd like to say that things have improved, they haven't.

After herniating 3 discs in 2009, I had a L5-S1 microdiscectomy in January 2011... From then I had a period of relieft, but in 2012 the leg pains returned. Since the return of the leg pains, I've had 2 x MRI, 1 x CT myleogram and Nerve conduction studies to try and find the cause of the pain.... The MRIs and CT came back clear while the nerve conduction study showed chronic denervation at the L5/S1 level. They were all done in June/July last year.

Since then I've been on lyrica trying to manage the burning sensation and numbness in my left leg. In December I had RFN done on some of the nerves to see if that would assist - it didn't.

A CT scan done 3 weeks ago has shown a re-herniation at the L5/S1 level, left sided, just as it was originally.

I'm heading back to my neurosurgeon tomorrow to find out what course of action he suggests. In the mean time, I'm just after some reassuring words from those who have reherniated the same disc in the same location twice or more, along with any info on what procedures you underwent to correct it the second time - did you opt for a second discectomy, or did you go for a fusion? I've been doing some reading and have found differing opinions on what the best option is, so I'd just like to hear others experiences with this.

July 2009 - L1, L3, L5 disc hernation
Jan 2011 - L5/S1 Microdiscectomy
Dec 2012 - return of neural symptoms
June 2014 - fusion recommended - awaiting insurance approval


  • So I was due to see the neurosurgeon today to find out what the plan of attack is for the herniated L5/S1 disc, but got a call this morning from his receptionist to tell me he'd been called into emergency surgery and my appointment for today needed to be rescheduled.... There's a 2 week wait to get in for the rescheduled appointment.

    I know I can't complain, cos if I was in need of emergency surgery I'd want it done then and there too, but I'm feeling a little frustrated after waiting this long and being so close to an answer only to be told to wait another 2 weeks for an answer.

    It's really starting to get to me. Mentally I'm stuggling to keep it together, between the pain and the uncertainty of what's going to happen and if/when I will recover it's getting harder to deal with the longer this drags on.

    Apologies for the rant, I just need to get it off my chest so I don't go crazy today.
    July 2009 - L1, L3, L5 disc hernation
    Jan 2011 - L5/S1 Microdiscectomy
    Dec 2012 - return of neural symptoms
    June 2014 - fusion recommended - awaiting insurance approval
Sign In or Register to comment.