Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long did Lyrica take to start working for you?

I've been taking it for 12 days. At first it was 75mg each night and now 75mg in the morning as well. It doesn't seem to be helping. My pain does not feel neuropathic so I don't have very high hopes for this med. The pain is a dull, deep ache. I pray to God it works of course!

So, how long did it take for Lyrica to start working for you? Also, what dose did you need before you felt relief? Did it only help radicular pain in arms/legs are back pain as well?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,850
    I found some pain relief after about a week to 10 days.
    But it seemed to address my nerve pain and did not do anything to help with my cervical/throacic/lumbar discomfort.

I stopped Lyrica because I had negative effects. I have been using neurontin for about 4 years now. It has definitely help the nerve pain.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Neurontin here too, I take 2700 mg's p/day and it works great. With Lyrica I had too many side effects trying to take it.
  • PinkellaPPinkella Posts: 211
    edited 05/28/2014 - 12:29 AM
    I take neurontin,I can't take lyrica it would interact with another med I'm on... I'd say i noticed some pain relief about a week after starting the neurontin...but everyone is different, finding the right dose can be hard,maybe stick with it for a while and see if it gets any better in the next couple of weeks ....sometimes it can be that you need a higher dose,but discuss with your doc and see what he recommends ....
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • has to be titrated to the correct dosage. Average dose for neuropathic pain is about 300mg per day, in divided doses and because it needs to be titrated up and down in dosage, you may not see a big benefit to it's use until you get near to the average daily dose.
    I was on 600 mg , which is the maximum dosage per day, but I also have a spinal cord injury, so I needed a bit stronger doses than most do.
    If you are going off it, you must go slowly, and never just stop taking it.......titrate up and titrate down.
  • Lyrica was increased to 150 twice a day yesterday. Still waiting for it to help with the pain. Had my MRI this morning. Haven't got radiologists report or seen doctor yet but have a CD with all the images on it. Things look fairly normal to me. I don't know why my back hurts so much. It's weird but I would have been happy to see a tumor or something like that.
  • Hang in there........I understand this is hard to do some days. Especially during the titration phase of a new medication. We keep waiting, hoping for some sign of relief......with Lyrica it kind of sneaked up on me......the stinging burning pain was so bad, that if I tried to put shoes on my feet, it was like being stung by a million bees all at once........and then when I finally got to the correct dose, I went to put shoes on and found that the stinging was greatly reduced......
  • I am still somewhat hopeful for the Lyrica but the fact that it is generally used for neuropathic pain, something that is qualitatively different to my pain, dampens that hope a bit. My pain is just a deep aching. I've got my appointment with the PM I was referred to as an outpatient on Thursday. I'm looking forward to that. I've heard good things and having an outpatient appt I should get a longer consultation than when the inpatient PM visitited me here. He only stayed 10 minutes and hasn't been back since, just authorises the Lyrica increases over the phone. He'll probably show up again when he gets the MRI report so I might end up seeing them both this week.
  • I hope that your appointments go well..........and they come up with something to help some. I know the waiting is the hard part......
  • Were all thinking of you & wishing nothing but the best. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • My neuothapy pain is caused by my diabetis with the extreme stinging in my feet. It started to travel up my ankles and even further up my legs. The stinging sensation was terrible. My Dr started me on Lyrica 75mm and believe it or not, complete releif in three days. I did gain a little weight but the relief from the numbness and the stinging was well worth i. I now take only one pill every three days. This has been a Godsend as far as diabetic stinging is concerned.
    wesley huntley
  • unfortunately the gabapentin has stop working and my pain is back to 8/10
    I was told by my gp that your body can get use to the drug..so im trying a higher dose as a stop gap befor I decide on surgery.
    This is just my experience and many other people I know do well on lyrica or gabapentin.
  • What dose of gabapentin are you on currently? If the dose is too low, that may be why you are aren't getting relief from it now.
    There is a huge range of dosing when it comes to gabapentin- 100 mg -3600 mg.......for neuropathic pain, the usual dose range is somewhere in the 1200-3600 mg range.
  • Yes Sandi I know..
    But I can't take big doses of gabapentin as it was making me depressed and this is a known side effect with it..
    My surgeon has also made me aware that not all my pain is nerve pain it s mechanical to which gabapentin won't work on..
    I'm at the stage I have no quality of life so I may well go for the surgery end of August...but I'm petrified of the risks involved...
    But then I can't continue like this....

• 64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
    edited 06/29/2014 - 5:49 AM
    Lyrica helped me more than Neurontin. The Neurontin helped 10 years ago but wo years ago it had a depression affect. Lyrica helped subtlely at first because it wasn't until I ran out of it tha I realized ow much it was helping. I tried Keppra because a friend had much better results. It took less than a week and I knew I **EDITED** big time. Went back to lyrica.

Post edited for inappropriate forum language.
  • I can't take lyrica, it would interact with another drug I'm on...
    Some doctors would argue there's little difference between Lyrica and Gabapentin....and their success in neuropathic pain.
  • DebbievetterDDebbievetter Posts: 1
    edited 07/08/2015 - 9:51 AM
    So i started 75mg 2x day for 7 days. Now 150 2x day. A little dizziness but mania. I am bi polar. Anybody know when this will level out?

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
  • I had discetomy on December 17. I am still having leg pain. Tired to walk shortly (on a treadmill at turtle pace) after surgery and the pain was so bad my dr. put me on bed rest for two days and steroids, the pain did get better, but still very much there. Tried exercising again last week and the same thing happened. Dr. put me on Gabapentin and I had every side effect listed, I was so emotional on it, I constantly cried (it takes a lot for me to cry). On my 2nd day of Lyrica. (my cost after great insurance was $144.00) I sure hope this helps the pain and numbness. Dr. says the nerve was pinched for so long (9 months) that it is going to take a long time to heal. I love to hike, kayak and spend a lot of time outdoor. Hoping I am better by Spring. Follow up appt. next week. Anyone experienced this?
    Faye in Indiana
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History