Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 months post op is this normal?

I have been reading these forums for quite a while now, obtaining information about my lower back pain. Until recently I have been able to draw from the information about my pain and how to manage it somewhat. Never really alleviating the pain, but making it bearable. Recently I have had surgery on my back with l2-l4 being fused/laminated, and discectomy(?), he also stated he cleaned up some arthritis and stenosis whatever that means.

At first everything seemed ok, I was walking slowly and had a bit of pain, but the meds I received at the hospital were doing its job. The Percocet 10mg every 4 hours and an OxyContin 20mg every 12. When I was released my insurance refused to fill the OxyContin and all I was able to take was the Percocet 10mg, the Percocet made it bearable, but I had to stay on top of it. The neurosurgeon prescribed Gabapentin 100 mg 3 times a day(which caused me to have severe diarrhea), flex aril 10 mg 3 times a day, Percocet 10mg every 4 hours(made me sick to my stomach), and Roxicet 10mg every 6 hours. On day 3 after I was released from the hospital I could not walk any more everything from the waist down went numb and if I tried to walk I would just fall down on top of my legs. I lost control of my bladder and bowel function which to this day has yet to comeback. I have lost all feeling in my waist area and has yet to comeback including the ability to obtain an erection. I had pain that at times was just unmanageable and no matter what position I laid, sat or postured myself into I would always seem very uncomfortable. Spasms and fluttering pain shot up and down both legs from my back.

We are now at the 4 month mark after surgery, I can walk with the help of a cane I fall every now and again when my right leg just gives. I still have pain shooting down my right leg almost continuously weight bearing or in reclined relaxed position. When I walk without a cane my right leg seems to not be able to get with it and my foot comes down weird and I fall down a lot. The neurosurgeon has slated me for a pain management clinic this month stating that he will see me at week 12. I am now taking Lyrica 100mg 3 times a day, flex aril 10mg 3 times a day and the pain meds are pretty much the same. I will find out this week as it is the first appointment at the pain management clinic. Never at any point has the meds totally stopped the pain, but they have made it bearable until recently, I have had this throbbing pain in my spine wear the surgery was performed that at times is so bad it makes me sick to my stomach. I have lost 65 pounds since the surgery sometimes I just can’t bring myself to eat any more. It has started to affect me mentally sometimes I start feeling like I can’t live like this anymore my wife reminds me of her and the children and in no matter what capacity or state that I am in that they are better with me in there life then without. She has put up with a lot more than any wife should. She married me as an equal and now I am most certainly not.
So I guess my reasoning for writing this is. Is this normal? I was able to walk and live normally just in what was most certainly a lot of pain, but it was normal before the surgery.