Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

life hurts

alexiabelleaalexiabelle Posts: 1
Since 2007, I’ve worked commercial construction (plumbing). Job is always extremely physically demanding. Lots of heavy lifting. Lots of moving around, climbing ladders, awkward positions. Always on your feet.

Never had any serious injuries.

February 2012, I was just returning to work after a rather long absence due to depression. I had been unemployed for about 10 months. My first month back at work was extremely “light-dutied.” I was supervisor on the floor, and mainly looked over blueprints, and gave instruction to others. There were no physically-demanding tasks for me to perform. (Nothing like what I was used to, and quite a pleasure!)

After about a month of this, I noticed one day my tailbone was aching. I remember telling my coworker that it “felt like someone kicked me in the tailbone.” It really ached, was very distracting, and worsened as the day progressed.

After work, a few coworkers and I grabbed coffees as usual, and I took a seat on a piece of concrete about 3 feet tall. I was sitting there, with my feet dangling about 8 inches from the ground for about 20 minutes. When we decided to go our separate ways and leave to go home, I hopped off the concrete and as soon as my weight was put onto my foot, I let out a literally inhuman ‘Yelp!’ Everyone I was with turned to me with laughter at the funny noise they just heard me make. They thought I was EDITED for language around. Then one realized I was in serious pain. I could hardly walk. Hardly move. It didn’t let up at all, but I had to get home, so home I drove. What a brutal drive. When I got home, I honestly don’t know how I made it up to my apartment. Seriously. I couldn’t walk. clutching the walls etc….. I didn’t have a lot of choice.

When I arrived home, I usually shower, clean up etc No no. Straight, and very slowly to the couch Didn’t even take off my work boots. Tried to, but couldn’t even begin… I ended up phoning my boss late that evening, explaining the situation. Took some days off. Went to the hospital. They gave me pain drugs. They did nothing. And I went back to work soon after. In a lot of pain.

For two years since then, my life has been like this. Sometimes bare able, but mostly not. I can barely bring myself to go make food, as the thought of all the movements and twists and bends to get to the kitchen, get the pots out, get food out the fridge, etc etc Its excruciating just to think about. And the fact that I can’t do these Simple Tasks, is just, it’s taking everything from me. mentally I’m going down hill fast.

Apparently, this is what’s know as “sciatica.”

I’ve had X-rays which prove nothings wrong with my spine, no disk problems, etc, tests for arthritis are clear. massage doesn’t help. chiro doesnthelp. acupuncture and pressure don’t help. No one seems to be able to explain Why this is happening. Even I can’t tell you what causes it and what relieves it. It’s so random. Flies by the seat of it’s pants, if you will. I can go from feeling "great" to "beyond terrible", and back to "pretty alright", in a matter of an hour.: Able to dance and jump. Then 2 minutes later incapacitated with pain. (When i say ‘incapacitated’ I’m not exaggerating at all.. it’s the true definition. unable to move. it has struck fear into me several occasions, when my phone wasn’t within arms reach. and i was helpless and in severe excruciating pain….)

I can’t get a job. no1 will l hire me if I’m limping up to them to ask for work… and even if they do i can’t perform as i need to. and even if thats “okay” with my boss, which it won’t be, ill inevitably miss days, and i won’t even be able to tell my boss in advance. i won’t know if i can go to work till i wake up. its So random. that kind of worker doesn’t last longer than few weeks, at any company in construction.

I am literally not the person I Actually am, anymore. I’m just a miserable human in pain.

I don’t know what to do. Last night in another case of last-ditch-effort to find relief, i actually got suckered into spending 50 bucks to access a stupid .pdf file telling me to massage my armpit a certain way for 8 minutes to find relief from my sciatic pain. needless to say despite the solution’s rave online reviews - this did not work for me.

thinking about.EDITED
.. seems gimmicky...

sorry for clogging your forum with this. i guess i just needed to get it out.

...i wish i could sleep...

Post edited by Sandi- the use of foul, obscene or vulgar language is NOT permitted on Spine Health.
You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.