Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rods & Screws to be added 1-year post op from ALIF L4-L5

Due to a failed fusion, my surgeon is suggesting that he's going to have to go back in and add rods and screws to stabilize my spine and allow the bone to continue fusing. He also intends to add more bone material.

A CT scan at 11 months showed lack of fusion, so I've been using a bone growth stimulator for just over 5 weeks. The x-rays yesterday show some bone growth on the front of the fusion area but none in the back. This is allowing the spine to move. I did have many months of what I thought was success after the surgery, with pain kicking in about 3 months ago (around 9 months post-op).

I've been searching through posts and not seeing where anyone had this done so long after the fusion surgery itself. He intends to go in from the back and said that this won't be as bad as the ALIF but will still be a 2.5 hr surgery and an overnight stay. No work for two weeks, and then a gradual return over the next 6 weeks or more.

My daughter gets married next month and I live 2,000 miles away. So the surgeon is going to wait until I return before he does another CT. He told me that with the number of planes I'll be stuck on, plus the hotel beds, lots of walking, etc., this will be the trip from hell. He is scheduling the CT for the Monday after my return, followed by an appointment with him on the Tuesday. His eagerness to get me in immediately after I return has me nervous. But I'm sure he would tell me if the trip was too dangerous for me.

Just wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this. Most of what I'm seeing is people getting rods removed at this point, not added. I always have to be different...lol.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 05/29/2014 - 7:28 AM
    The recovery from adding the screws and rods should be a bit easier than the whole fusion process again. I found that my second surgery, the recovery was a bit easier.
    When they did my second surgery, they went back in in exactly the same spot they did for the first surgery.....so let's hope that your new surgery fixes the lack of fusion and stabilizes the spine and you are back on the road to recovery.