Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 Year Neurostimulator Implant Review

I have had a neurostimulator implant now for close to 8 years and its just not working for me. I used it regularly for over a year and had it reprogrammed several times in that year. It eventually did not cover my pain or reduce it any and became such an unpleasant sensation that I turned it off and only tried it intermitently to this date.

About a year ago I visited a neurosurgeon who reccomended I try to have it reprogrammed again which I did. It still no longer covers my pain and gives a very unpleasant sensation. I can get it to cover my pain areas but I have to turn it up so high that it impairs my ability to walk and have urinated myself because I couldn't tell I even had to go to the bathroom. I have not used it since. The neurosurgeon reccomended I have the unit removed so I could at least have an MRI in the future and stated I probably would not benefit from a newer unit even though the technology has imoroved. He talked about a pain pump as an alternative and that's where I have left it.

I haven't seen a forum thread here related specificly to pain pumps and I would really like to talk with some people who have one. I currently take oral pain meds and have a pain management doctor that I visit monthly. Honestly the pain pumps scare me, but that's probably due to the lack of knowledge that I have of the whole subject.

Another major issue is that I currently have no medical insurance and I'm paying for all my health issues out of pocket. There's really no way I can pay out of pocket for the removal of my current unit and a pump install. I'm not sure even if I were to pay for my own insurance they would even cover such procedures to it being a pre existing condition. I'm fairly overwhelmed by all of this and need some advice as how to proceed, just to help sort out the thought process a bit would be a great help.

If anyone has some wisdom they are willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

• I'm sorry about the scs unit not working. I have read too many stories of similar outcomes. Did you get any relief from the trial of the unit before going ahead with the implant?
    As far as threads regarding the intrathecal pain pump, if you do a search at the top of the page of these forums, there is a search box, type in intrathecal pain pump or pain pump and you will gets lots of links to various threads regarding it.