Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Referral for 2nd lumbar surgery consult 1 yr later?!

Hello all! Sorry this is all somewhat run together, long, and probably somewhat confusing...I apologize in advance for my seemingly obvious lack of coherence!!! I am usually more articulate, but my anxiety is through the roof right now... lol

I had an MD (microdiscectomy?) performed on Aug 12, 2013...relief was quite short lived. Since then, the pain has been getting worse and worse, to where I cannot function even close to normally without my pain medication. Even with the medicine, it only takes the edge off, to where I can get out of bed and take care of my family in short bursts and then return to alternately laying/sitting. After the last surgery, for herniated discs, the Doc said he couldn't "scrape it all, there was just too much",arthritis, among several other things I cannot remember now...lol

My FNP (Family nurse practitioner) finally agreed a new MRI was in order, since nothing else is seeming to help (PT, exercise, steroids, etc...). I had to get one with contrast, due to the previous surgery. So, on May 15th, I got that done. The MRI tech, as I was getting ready to leave, said "You have a crappy back, but I guess I don't have to tell you that" and chuckled. All I could think at this point, was wow...at least NOW my FNP will understand me better about the pain I've been in!! Having transportation issues, I asked my FNP's office to just give me the results over the phone, since my appt was scheduled just to discuss the results. The head office nurse said that could not happen, because, after speaking to my FNP, they would need to meet with me in person to discuss the results and discuss surgery, because the results were pretty bad (sounds pleasant, huh? lol).

Fast forward to today, my appt I finally made it to - My FNP came in, who is usually quite chipper, and asked me how I felt about another surgery in my near future. She listed off all the things that were in my new MRI, which included: L4/L5 protrusions pressing on the left and L5/S1 protrusions pressing on the right, which is why I have severe sciatica in both legs...and then something to do with root exit nerves (?) and why that could be a negative thing if left unattended.? I cannot remember everything she said, but we then discussed what she recommended. She said she obviously recommends surgery at this point, most likely a fusion; but all she could do for that is refer me back to those that performed my last one and see what they say.
The hospital is over 8 hours away, and I guess we will be going there for a consult soon to find out if surgery is an option again or not. What is everyone elses experience/opinions with this? I know I am not completely clear on what my issues are, because I cannot clearly remember what she said (I also have bad anxiety, so at that point I was kind of upset), but for the most part the protruding (same as herniated?) discs. In your opinions, is that "surgery" material or would I be wasting my time even going down there for the consult? I know it's ultimately up to the surgical team, but helpful advice would be, well, helpful :) Thanks all!