Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminotomy and foramotomy surgery May14

I had lumbar laminotomy L-4-5 revision almost two weeks ago with Foraminotomy L-3 L4 surgery.

Dr. told me neither of these surgeries would help my low back pain he said discs 1-5 were totally degenerative and I have 2 or 3 herniated discs. H said NO surgery could help my back. I asked about disc Replacement and or fusion and he said NO surgery would help my back.

He said he could only help the right leg radiculopathy and siatica by doing the laminotomy revision and foraminatormy surger.

4 days ago the leg nerv pain has totally returned from back all the way on top of leg and side of leg into the foot. just like before, maybe worse.

I tried to reach him by phone today, Friday with no luck.

Has anyone here had these surgeries and di it help? or did it get worse and then better? or did it just not work at all?

there is also a fold of skin on top of the incision that in painful 24/7 and I cannot get in any position with out it hurting.

please email me on this site or privately: julia@californiamakeup.com

I was on Dilatin iv in hospital and on Percosett and muscle relaxer at home.

any info helpful please.. hate to think I have gone through these surgeries in vain. thank u
Julia Richardson

• had both of these surgeries approx 2 weeks ago supposed relieve radicularophy leg and foot pain. It is now getting worse and worse.. is this a failed back surgery or is it possible to get worse and then better?

also there is a lump of folded skin on top of the incision which appears to be healed but no position is comfortable at all,, doesn't this need to be surgically removed? call into Dr. but it is Friday and he is in surgery. My post op is not till June 5.
    Julia Richardson
  • Both of those surgeries are done to relieve nerve compression.........the laminotomy is done to relieve compression of the canal and the foraminotomy is done to relieve pressure on the exiting nerve roots. It is quite common to experience a flare up of nerve related pain after the compression is relieved, and it is because of the release of the compression and the return of nerve function. It can take some time to settle down, but there are things that can be done if it is too painful such as trying a neuropathic type of medication to treat it while you wait for it to settle down again.
    Lyrica, gabapentin and cymbalta are three such medications.
    Talk with your surgeon regarding trying one of them to see if they help.
    It is far too early to worry about a failed surgery.........you will get through this.