I have a 1cm central herniation at L4/5. The L5 root nerves are compressed and there is some compression of the cauda equina. I'm lucky to only have pain and muscle tightness and spasm with no loss of sensation or pins and needles and only minor bladder symptoms - slight difficult in going. This was diagnosed in April by MRI after more than two years of pain, previously dismissed as pregnancy related. I had a lot of physio which obviously didn't help.
I am still waiting for an appointment with a neurosurgeon and trying to figure out the likelihood of this being a surgical case. I've already decided to decline any injections so will have to continue with physio and strong pain medication if surgery is refused. I'm not coping well currently and the side effects mean I struggle with caring for my pre school children and will be unable to work. I'm in the UK so this is NHS but I do have the money to go private if necessary.
It would be great to get opinions on this from experiences of members going through or having been through similar.