Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery AGAIN

I have had back problems since 1989, my first operation was for a partial laminectomy at L-2/L-3, followed in 1995 with a discectomy at L-3/L-4. In 2006 the next Neurosurgeon fused L-2/L-4. In 2008 they decided to fuse L-2/S-1, the next 4 years were miserable, then in 2012 my latest Neuro did an ALIF at L-4/L-5 because he said it had a failed fusion at that level.

They say pain is relative, but after Percocets, Nucynta, Lyrica, various muscle relaxers, Methotrexate and even a spinal cord stimulator implant (which I had removed a year later), I still hurt.

My latest Neuro met with me last Friday and took some x-rays in office after my latest call telling him that I think something else is wrong again, and sure enough when he compared last years x-rays to the new ones he said "I think you might be right" and sure enough the disc at L-1/L-2 appears to have ruptured. So now I have to go in next week for my favorite diagnostic test, the INFAMOUS CT Mylogram. I have had them before and I prefer the surgery to the test.

Anyway I am told that if it becomes necessary to go in again, then they will take out all of the old hardware ( 8 pedicle screw and rods ), I don't know about the ALIF plate, and install all new hardware. It seems to me , with NO Medical training, but a lot of LIVING with it, that fusing one more level just makes it inevitable that the next level will eventually succumb to the same problem.

Has anyone else been through a similar nightmare. I am 62 and wonder if I am not better off just taking the pain meds that keep me functioning, I actually fear the amount of time recovery will take at this point in time.

Thanks, Frank