Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACD without fusion; xrays show collapse

lvcourtneyllvcourtney Posts: 1
edited 06/01/2014 - 11:55 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My 69 year old mother was scheduled for C4-C7 ACDF in December, 2013. Her doctor said they would go through the front of her neck to insert the bone grafts, and then go through the back of her neck to insert the titanium plate to secure them. However, he said her lungs weren't doing well in surgery, so he decided not to put the plate in. He said he'd do a second procedure in about 3 weeks to put the plate in.

My mom ended up getting pneumonia while recovering from the surgery. Even on 3 liters of oxygen, her oxygen levels were in the 80's. It has been a LONG six months of recovery as she has had to be on oxygen 24/7. Only last month was she able to go out and walk for short periods without oxygen. She still sleeps with it though. She still has a lot of pain in her neck and she can not drive or function like she used to. Basically she has been bedridden for 6 months. Her pulmonologist said not to go back for the fusion because her lungs likely will not be strong enough.

When my mom went back for a follow up last month, the doctor that performed the ACD said the xrays show significant collapse and she needs to start wearing her neck brace 24/7. Because of the collapse, he said, if she does not let him do a 2nd surgery she will end up paralyzed....a quadriplegic.

Her pulmonologist now agrees with him that she will have to risk the surgery or she will likely end up paralyzed. I feel so helpless. We've seen that her lungs aren't strong enough for her to be on a ventilator. A second surgery would surely by too great of a risk right? I am so scared for the future.

On a side note, the doctor that did the surgery already has a pending malpractice case. He has since left the group he was with and has moved in to his wife's dermatology practice. I don't trust him whatsoever. If you do a google search on his name you'll find endless press releases put out by a company who specializes in "medical reputation management." His name is xxx. My mom likes him though. It's very frustrating. Not once did he come to the hospital to check on her after surgery while she was in intensive care with pneumonia, unable to swallow for 2 weeks. I could go on and on....

Has anyone else experienced collapse after their ACD or ACDF surgery?

Post edited to remove specific doctor's name by Liz The spine-health moderator team.


Sign In or Register to comment.