Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF surgery 6/25

I am scheduled for an ALIF surgery 6/25 for l4/s1 fusion.. I'm getting more and more freaked out by the minute, but at the same time see a dim light at the end of the tunnel from this horrid pain. In 2007 I had discectomy and when i woke up from surgery thought it was a miracle - no pain whatsoever. Came home and was back to work within 10 days. I was mildly optimistic for the same result this time but after reading and educating myself more and more I realize that is not going to happen.

I live 3 hours from the hospital where my surgery will take place, just wondering is anyone has any suggestions for the car ride home after discharge or if I should stay with my parents for a few days before trying to come home?

Thanks for any help you can provice

• Hi CuriousGirl928,

I am scheduled for the same surgery as you but on June 12 and I am honestly scared out of my wits as well. I don't know if you are religious and hope I don't offend anyone but there is a verse that I repeat over and over when the stress gets bad. It is Phillipians 4:6 and says "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done". I wonder constantly if this is the right decision for me. I have been dealing with my back problems for the last two years and my last scans have shown that I have one disk that is completely gone and another that is seriously degenerated as well. This website has helped me a lot. I am a planner and if you haven't been on the back/neck surgery portion of this forum you should take a look. There is a post that is pinned to the top about suggestions of what to take to the hospital, have at home and tons of great advice. Many many prayers for you.

• I have prayed and prayed to figure out if this is the right choice - and I do think it is since the pain is so horrible. I am in this nesting thing right now trying to make sure all the bills are paid, my house is clean, the laundry is done, etc... I have looked at that list and found some things I hadn't thought of so now I am working on that as well. My main goal right now is to stay super busy until the surgery otherwise I will make myself and everyone around me crazy, LOL!! I figure I can't do much more damage to my back and they are already going to fix it so I might as well do all those chores and things I hadn't been doing the last couple of months.
  • Yep, I know the keep busy thing. Yesterday I made and stored 8 quarts of vegetable beef soup and 4 qts of chili into individual containers. I've also made a couple lasagna's and am making a baked spaghetti plus blueberry muffins today. My husband is flabbergasted and says he can handle after surgery but we have four children and he works crazy hours in the Army. Fail to plan, plan to fail. Good luck and my prayers are with you.
  • Prayer is good, I do it every day about this upcoming surgery. I have had 9 previous fusions, but none like this. Doc said I would be in the hospital 3-5 days, starting out in ICU. I like you have been trying to get things done here at home, my husband is a great help, but he has to work and I don't want to leave things for him to do. I have made mini meatloafs, chicken potpie, muffins for the freezer and help him out. Isn't it funny how we worry about them having to do stuff when we are the ones going in for surgery. Good luck to you curiousgirl1928 and to you scarab00.
This discussion has been closed.