Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

13 days out from L3/4 fusion and lami, more weakness than before :(

Pickle14Pickle14 Posts: 10
edited 06/17/2014 - 4:16 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Original post: Going in to hospital tmw for fusion and I'm sooo scared of the anesthesia and pain meds. I think I'll pass out before I go in!! Ugh. Any words of advice?

I had to repost this one and edit it because it was not letting me post a new thread. ANYway, before the surgery (posterior fusion L3/4 and extensive laminectomy to remove a ton of extra bone and scar tissue) I had pain and numbness on the left side only while sitting, but no weakness. I could climb stairs and walk pretty well. Now, I have leg pain even while sitting or lying down, and I cannot go up or down stairs using both legs. I do stairs like a toddler, one at a time. I also have trouble getting shoes on, socks, etc. Earlier today I was getting veggies from the bin in the refrigerator, and I squatted (stupidly), and there was no pain, but I could not get up, again. I would still be there now if my husband had not come to give me his arm

Am I going to be this way forever? How long until this gets better? Did I make a mistake in having the surgery?

Thanks... :)
Age 44
Elementary Teacher
ESI 2/28/14, PT, chiro, etc.
L3/4 PLIF and extensive laminectomy 6/4/14

• I had L4/L5 fusion 3+ weeks ago. My pain levels are diminishing and things are going well. Yes, when you wake up you will be thinking "ow, ow, ow" but then you get to push a pain med button that will make it go away pretty fast. As long as you are connected to that button, you will be in control of your pain levels.

Anytime you go in for surgery having anesthesia is a worry, but your anesthesiologist will talk to you beforehand and that'll help calm your nerves too. I joked with mine, and he was a nice guy. Last thing I said to him is don't kill me I think. :D Once they give you the loopy stuff you'll be completely worry free. ;)

Seriously, you will be ok. Your surgeon has probably performed thousands of these and you're in good hands or you wouldn't have picked him or her. Your anesthesiologist has been through thousands of surgeries too, so trust in him as well. My pre-surgery nurse told me to cross out the line that read that a student or new anesthesiologist may be helping in the operating room. You may not have to worry about that line in the waiver thing you sign, but mine had it in there and I crossed it out. I don't mind if they are in there watching, but they were not aloud to touch or do. She said to cross it off period if I felt that way. Just a heads up.

Did you get the "what to bring to the hospital" list accomplished yet? Make sure you have face wipes on there because the nurses will bring body wipes, but I think they'd be too harsh on your face. Buy the kind that you don't have to rinse, afterwards. Silky pjs are the best when getting in and out of the bed once you are allowed in your own clothes. That wasn't until day 4 for me because of catheter. Mine stayed in the whole time because my bladder wasn't cooperating due to pain meds.

Good luck! You will be ok!
    Julie K
    L4/L5 fusion TLIF for spondylolisthesis on 5/12/14
  • Thanks. I'm on the way to hospital now. Ugh.
    Age 44
    Elementary Teacher
    ESI 2/28/14, PT, chiro, etc.
    L3/4 PLIF and extensive laminectomy 6/4/14