Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

microdscetomy L5 S1

Hello from Slovenia,

First of all i apologize for my English, because i am writing from Slovenia. I was searching for answers on Slovenian sites but with no success, so i found this forum, and i hope that you can help me with some questions that i have.

I herniated my disc most probably due to exercise(gym), and i had pain down my leg for like 4 months, the MRI showed a large hernia 14mm x 8mm pressing on S1 nerve. They suggested surgery, because i am young(29y) and very active person and couldn't live with this pain and not able to do sports and move freely. After a second opinion i decided for surgery, hoping that my pain will go away after surgery, but not all went as planed.

I was operated on May 19. the surgeon said that the surgery went well that it was a large hernia, but they removed it all. I was happy to hear that, and i also didnt feel any pain... But then after 3 days when i started to move around, walk a little, i started noticing d same pain plus something new in my toes and calf muscles. Now two weeks after surgery a feel the same pain as before the surgery, the pain goes trough my buttock hamstring and in to calf muscle, and also when i sit i have this strange pain in my toes.
I am feeling quite depressed because of this, as i taught that it will finally get better, but i am feeling the same as before the surgery, the same pain if a bend a little i feel like something presses on the nerve. Is it possible that they dint remove everything?? is this normal post surgery pain?? will this go away??
My personal doctor just prescribed my some ibuprofen retard, but it doesn't help...

Thank you very much for anything that you can think off.

best regards

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 06/05/2014 - 6:21 AM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Are you supposed to be bending, at this stage? If your surgeon did not clear you to do that, then please don't.........did you get discharge instructions from the hospital? If you did, then you need to make sure to follow the post op discharge instructions until you see the surgeon and he clears you to do things other than walking......
    It is not unusual for pain to flare up a bit, especially the nerve pain post op , because once the compression or pinching of the nerve is relieved, the nerves gets a bit angry and flares up for a bit........It should settle down given some time.
  • no i mean if i bend a little like when i put my shoes on, or something like that, i get the same feeling as before the surgery, like something presses on the nerve. Ok i understand that the nerve gets a little angry, but why does it hurt just when i move around, i doesn't hurt when i am lying in bed. I am afraid because it is the same pain as before the surgery, it feels like they didnt remove the thing that is pressing on the nerve...
  • I had the same surgery on May 22nd.

I just signed up to this forum and this is my first post. I am a police officer and had the sciatic pain for 2 months before having surgery it was unbearable. I walked out of surgery standing up straight for the first time in weeks. I feel good most of the time but like today I went for about a 6 block walk and my leg felt really really weak and I had some pain in my buttocks/leg area. Not the same shooting excrusiating pain I had before but it does feel weak. I assume this is just being 2 weeks post-op. Ive been trying to keep a positite attitude but its very stressful, was hoping for other feedback and I will keep an eye on you Gasper since we had exact surgery only a few days apart and maybe we can help each other out on what we are feeling.
  • You aren't even one month out from surgery, and I am pretty sure that bending is not allowed at this stage of your recovery. The nerve pain can flare up for some time post op, especially since the nerve was in contact with the disc........so it is not uncommon for there to be certain things that you do that is going to cause it to flare. You should bring your foot up to tie your shoes or wear shoes, sandals that you don't need to tie.......doing things that you shouldn't be doing at this stage can cause further problems.
  • Hello from Slovenia!

Thank you for your answers. Kilawee, itlooks like we have the same problem. i was also feeling fine first days after the surgery, but now the pain came back like before the surgery, it feels the same that pain from buttock area down in to my feet. i really think that they didnt remove everything or even worse that i re-herniated my disc. I was at my family doctor and she said that this is not normal and she only gave m e some ibuprofen, because she thinks it is only inflammation. Tommorow i have appointment again and i will check what to do now because the pain isn't getting better. I am also having some strange feelings in my left leg which i didnt have before, not like pain, i cant describe it really but a constant feeling of numbness. i am really getting worried now. I see that you are a police officer, have you returned to work already? Were you at your doctor did he/she told you anything about post op pain?

Best regards

• It is possible that you did reherniate, and it may be because of doing things that you aren't supposed to do . I hope that you didn't, but you need to discuss these new symptoms with the nerve pain with your surgeon.
  • I have been getting better day by day. The numbness in my foot is completely gone and while I still feel real weak in lower back I can tell its better. I still get pain in my buttocks area from time to time and if I do something it doesnt like (like sneezing!) I will get a shot of pain. My demeanor has changed since a week ago and I am just taking it a day at a time, and trying to remember that how I feel today is not necessarily how I'll feel tomorrow. Monday was a great day for me, had little to no pain, then Tuesday it was a little different. Just take it super easy Gasper and I hope everything will work out for you. Yes, I have returned to work, but I am on light duty doing reports at a desk so it is not too bad. Keep me updated!
  • Firstly, I'm sorry you're both now experiencing pain again.

I had the same op a week ago and haven't had any sciatic pain since, only pain from the surgery. I'm really hoping it stays this way.

I wasn't given any instructions not to bend, etc. wasn't given much info on my discharge. I was provided with a link to a YouTube video with physio exercises & told to take things easy & gradually work up to a normal routine. I've put trainers on normally (1st time in about 6/7 months), squatted down to pick things up, hung up my wet washing, etc.

I'm now scared I may be doing more than I should, I feel ok doing it, but don't want to put myself at risk of jepodising my recovery. Don't know whether to carry on, or take a few steps back.
    L5/S1 Microdiscectomy on 13th June 2014 in London, Uk.