Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cortisone shot

dswestddswest Posts: 9
edited 06/04/2014 - 6:30 PM in Spinal Injections
Just thought I would share my experience with getting the shot.

Well, I had a cortisone shot into my L5-S1 area on Tuesday (3/6/2014). I was more than a little nervous going in as I have never had a shot before, despite suffering from back pain for the last 5-6 years. To be honest it was some of the most intense pain I have felt in a while, the doctor said he was able to get the needle to within a millmetre of the affected nerve. I didn't sleep a wink that night at all. The next morning was a little better but I felt sick in the stomach. A side effect of the cortisone I'm lead to believe. The original pain is still there but it feels different. Hard to describe. It will take up to 10 or so days for the full effect to act I'm told. It hasn't changed the issue with my calf muscle though. It still twitches and cramps, but it feels like it is wrapped in a tight sock all the time though. Weird.........

Still might have to go back and get another one later on. The doc tells me the nerve above it, L4-L5, is narrow and will be an issue, but to let this one settle first..........

See what happens in a couple of weeks.

• I wish you luck. I just had my first injections on Wednesday and the first 3 days I was sore and my back pain was the same as before but today on day 4, I am in a lot more pain. I hope we get some relief soon :-)
  • I've had steroid shots in my lumbar L4L5 S1 and they increased my back pain for about a week,I was warned this could happen so I wasn't concerned by it.Then on the 10th day the pain suddenly started to melt away...by day 12 I was 85%pain free ...unfortunately it was short acting for me and after three weeks the pain returned...but everyone is different,I've know people have 6months pain relief from the steroid shots
    Best of luck to both of you ....:)
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • Thank you Helen - that gives me a glimmer of hope :-) I know to be patient and I am really trying to be. I guess I anticipated an immediate increase in pain for a few days- not 4 days into it to have a sudden increase. That was what I was concerned about and didn't know if that was normal. I hope it is short lived.
  • PinkellaPPinkella Posts: 211
    edited 07/06/2014 - 4:40 AM
    I'd had some sort of spinal block as well as the steroids and was warned it can take up to 72hrs to fully leave my system and I felt pretty much numb for two days where my pain usually was..
    Day 4 my pain increased more than it was befor the shots
    The injections are putting steroids into the tiny area around your joints and this can cause temporarily pressure and pain until the steroid starts to Obsorb ...
    I know it's hard waiting and wondering when it will ever kck in !but once they kick in they can be marvellous for pain relief ..as long as they've put them in the right joint that's causing the pain ...
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.