Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain pump

parentwithpain2pparentwithpain2 Posts: 1
edited 06/04/2014 - 6:28 PM in Pain Management
I am reaching out to anyone that has the pain pump. I am going in the hospital on Monday to start the trial and if all goes well, I will have it permanently implanted on Thursday. Background info, in 1998, I was rear-ended from someone going 55 mph and I was at a dead stop. It ruptured 3 discs in my lower spine, L3-S1, which resulted in diskectomies/laminectomies in those discs. I was "good" for about 3 yrs or so and then all hell broke loose, and they just kept rupturing on me, and i was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, advanced. I was only 22. So in 8 wks I had 3 spinal surgeries one of which was a severe staph infection which couldve killed me, thank god it didnt. I have also had 2 double neck fusion, the dr said the problem "traveled". Not the type of traveling I always dreamed of...haha. So after 16 yrs of oral meds, procedure after procedure, nothing is working so they want to do the pain pump, its my only option to be out of pain by 50%.....that helps for sure. Can anybody help?????? thanks!!!
tara ball

• patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
    edited 06/09/2014 - 6:57 PM
    I have had my PP almost 5 years now and I can say it is a life saver!! I have chronic pain in both my feet and legs. I do have oral pain meds I can take but most days I do not need to take any! It does take time to get to the point I am at. Your Doctor will start you out on a low dose and gradually increase your dosage until you reach your magic setting. There is a hand held device that your Doctor sets for you to give yourself an extra dose when needed. I have the largest pump and it does protrude a bit but I just wear all my shirts out so it is not a problem.Zip up jeans are out now because of where the pump is placed(between your hip bone and your ribs) Thats no biggie either because of the wonderful pain relief you get.
    Refills are a snap all i feel in a needle prick. I only have to get a refill about every 4 months. If you get the smaller pump refiil will be more often. I never think about my pump and it does not bother me in any way. Just make sure you get yourself a reacher grabber to pick up anything you drop. They come in very handy. Make sure your Doctor puts a binder on you so your pump will not shift around while you heal.
    I do hope your test is a good one so you will be on your way to less pain.

Patsy W
  • It's so good to see you and hear how wonderfully you are doing.........you are our resident pump expert, amongst a very few others, so it is good to have you here to provide information for new pump trial patients .
    Happy to see you.....