Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Needing help with spine surgery, how do we change the system?

Hello, my name is Steve and I just found this web site. Of course I am here because I have been denied by my own insurance company for my back surgery. I have not read everyone's experiences yet but I already know I am in good company. So here I am with ddd and I am 57 years old. I am stricken with stenosis. I have a surgeon who has already done a cervical implant for me and it was successful 4 years ago. Now I need an implant in L4/5. It is an implant that allows vertebrae to move after surgery. It has also been approved by the fda. This insurance company adjustor will not allow my surgery. I was scheduled for it on 6/9/14. For over 6 years I have tried every conservative treatment and now I need this surgery. I have lost 90% of my ability to earn a living. I can barely walk 2 blocks from my vehicle back and forth to my shop to work every day. As you can probably tell, I am extremely upset about this situation. My feet and ankles, and legs are numb. I have weakness in my quads and ankles. Also major pain when I walk. Pain in my lower legs. Sound familiar? nerve pain and muscle atrophy. I have given up hope to ever run or walk in the woods. I have given up everything I loved doing. No more playing music. My career is over. If I bend over, it feels like my spine is going to break through my skin. I cannot sit through my son's concerts because I cannot stand up afterwards. I have tried their pills, shots, decompression, chiro, massage, all of it. Like they told me, surgery is the last option. So now here I am and now DENIED my surgery. I have bone pressing on my nerve roots. The way I see it, there MUST be a way to actually CHANGE the system. Why are we made to suffer while others get rich. We pay our insurance premiums. When will human suffering be something that is more important to relieve in the world than making money. I believe that the health care system needs to be actually reformed in a real way. How can GREED be more important than human life? I am asking anyone out there for any guidance to help me. I am willing to go to Washington DC and sit on the doorstep of any government official ( who supposedly works for us) with as many people I can find to change the laws in this country. Of course I realize they work for the corporations not us. I need a 45 minute operation to be able to walk and hopefully get the feeling back in my feet and legs. I do not want to give up. I have 2 thousand dollars to my name. I would gladly give it to any reform movement even if it meant I had to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. The insurance companies pay for procedures that do not work but denies me an implant that will work. I am through crying, feeling depressed, abandoned, pitied, and ignored. They gave me steroid shots that were not even meant to be used for back injections and made it legal by making it OFF LABEL USE. Just to get rich. They did not work. I will join any movement out there that is working to actually do REAL reform to the health care system. What else is in my future except pain and misery. If you do not want to post this then fine. But we all need to be VERY UPSET at the status quo and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.