Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pregnancy with scoliosis surgery

I am 9 months post op from having a scoliosis surgery. I have 2 titanium rods and have a spinal fusion. Me and my partner want to start a family, do you think my body would cope with a pregnancy now? Or how long did peoples doctor tell them to wait?

• I my case, my surgeon said they require waiting 6 months post fusion, but prefer 1 full year of recovery before getting pregnant. I did not have scoliosis though. I had L4-S1 fused. You should probably ask your surgeon, PCP, and OBGYN what they recommend.

Also, depending on where your surgery was you may not be able to have an epidural. I learned this about me last week. My PCP said that if I am able to have kids (Lord willing of course) that I would not be able to have an epidural and she wants me to have a c-section. She doesn't want me to mess anything else up with my back through pushing.

I have 6 screws, 2 rods, and 1 cage.
  • is something to discuss with both your surgeon and your gyn.......they can best advise you on your spine's stability and your physical ability to carry a pregnancy.
    In most cases, there is no reason why a woman can't concieve and carry a baby to term but it is wise to discuss your options with your medical providers.
  • I am fused L3-5. I cannot have an epidural or a spinal block due to scar tissue, I have had 5 surgeries in the lumbar area. I talked to my doctor and they said I would more then likely have csection under general anesthesia. Another reason for the c-section is because pushing puts a lot of pressure on the lumbar spine. I do agree with others you talk to your doctors about this for definitive answers.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • My neurosurgeon told me that My curve is 45 degrees now. So, I need surgery for scoliosis. Then my medical doctor told me that the kyphoplasty that I had for a fractured vertebra in Dec. was not done on the right vertebra. My scoliosis curve was at 24 degrees then. Could the fact that I had kyphoplasty done on a vertebra that wasn't fractured and the fact that my fractured vertebra wasn't fixed cause my curve go from 24 degrees to 45 degrees in 3 months?

Ellen Bowden
  • I'm terrified to have this surgery done. I have heard the pain is really bad when you first wake up after surgery. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Ellen Bowden
  • It may be related or it may not. Only your doctor can tell you for sure, and even then, he may not be able to determine the exact cause of the advancing in the scoliosis.
    As far as the pain levels post op, yes, it hurts and it is rather intense, but they provide patients with a pain pump for the first 24 hours or so, then transition you to oral medications once your pain levels are more stable.
    If you weren't scared, I would be worried, I don't know anyone who has faced spine surgery that wasn't concerned and scared.
  • JennFuseL4S1JJennFuseL4S1 Posts: 38
    edited 06/20/2014 - 4:47 PM
    embowden said:
    I'm terrified to have this surgery done. I have heard the pain is really bad when you first wake up after surgery. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Yes. When you wake up, if you have pain tell the nurses right away. Some pain is obviously expected but if it is bad tell them. They can get that morphine into your IV before you can say the alphabet :-). With my first surgery when I woke up after I stopped panicking because I didn't know where I was and couldn't find my husband, I told them my back hurt and they said okay we will give you more morphine. Then I fell back asleep :-).

I did not, however, have a pain pump for my laminectomy nor my fusion... So not everyone gets that. I think it depends on the surgeon and what they want to d.