Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here Patient

jkdbjjjjkdbjj Posts: 1
edited 06/07/2014 - 12:31 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Mike. I am 38 now. When I was 14 I had reconstructive surgery.

I was born without eye or ear on left side. Surgery was to take out rib 6,7,8 cartilage to build the ear.

About 3 years after surgery I suffered my first accident, a severe hernia, and then another.

I suffer from constant pain in my entire thoracic region on the right side of my body where the surgery took place, also behind my scapula, which I am assuming is the rib area that connects to the ribs in question. And my lower back is very weak.

I had my surgery at John Hopkins. They have since lost my records in an office move about a year after my surgery???

Anyway, I have been to several therapist, and I own about every gadget known to man to help relieve pain in the back and stomach muscles. I eat health, and exercise as I can.

Studying on my own for years about the body and anatomy to better understand the damage I am facing, I have come to learn my body is out of balance in a severe way. My stomach muscles on the right side will never develop correctly, thus leaving me structurally compromised in the thoracic region.

Of course I have tried different pain meds, and have stuck with only taking tramadol on a daily basis, as that seems to allow me to not feel as much pain, and allow me to work every day etc...

The reason I am joining up here, is after so many years of fighting this by myself, I decided to try to find a doctor that might take kind to me and help me learn more about my body, and maybe even find a solution.

Currently, when I have to go to the ER or Urgent Care, I am looked at like a druggy, and they simply prescribe pills and off I go. That is not patient care to me, and I have to hold out hope that people still care out there. Yes I take medication, yes I am dependent on them, but I am not addicted, nor do I have an addictive personality.

I am just looking for a kind ear and maybe some knowledge to reflect on.

Knowing that eliminating the rib cartilage of rib 6,7,8 will leave the thoracic compromised, and in my case severely it seems, would a physician do the surgery to a teenager to simply fix a superficial issue? Yes as a teen I wanted to not have long hair all the time, but I had to to avoid getting picked on. However, as a responsible physician, wouldn't you explain there are going to be long term complications that need to really be considered before proceeding?
As an adult and father and husband, I would NEVER have done the surgery knowing that I have trouble playing with my kids, or have to be worried if I have my meds when we go out of town.

I just want some answers damn it!