Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Left L4/L5 Microdisctectomy - 2 Day After Op

chinstrapcchinstrap Posts: 2
edited 06/08/2014 - 4:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I am new here but thought I would share my story..., which is still playing out.

I just had left L4/L5 Microdisctectomy just 2 days ago and thing appear to have gone successful. I had had 3-4 years of leg and back disc/nerve pain and finally went the route of surgery. My quality of life had gone down and I was operating with less energy and motivation b/c of my back pain.

On my first long, slow walk after the surgery I did not get any shooting pain into my leg anymore and only had surgical pain.
My wife is still helping me to get up out of bed or in and out of the car, etc. as the transition point between sitting and standing is painful.

Male 43 - Had Microdisctectomy on L4-L5 very recently. Herniated disc 3-4 years ago working out.

• Yikes! That's a long time with that much pain! Your comments about lower quality of life are spot on! I ruptured my L4/L5 disc last November before Thanksgiving. I work at home and after work, I moved to my man cave and sat in the lazy boy for the rest of the night since I could do that pain free. When I did go out to the store, I could handle 5-10 minutes of walking then I'd head to the front and find a place to sit while my wife finished shopping. I'm only 53 so I was way too young to begin such a permanent sedentary life. On March 20th, I had the L4/L5 microdiscectomy. On June 20th, after 90 days of recovery, I'm released by the doctor to return to activities unrestricted!

Anyway, I read that your nerve will have a memory of the pain and it can take a long time for the pain to go away as a result. Fortunately for me, with just 4 months between injury and surgery, I was pain free from the first time I stood up after surgery. My greatest post-op discomfort was the pulling/stretching of the incision with disappeared after about 10 days.

As for walking, my doctor recommended walk on flat level surfaces. 1/4 mile every day for the 1st week, week 2 was 1/2 mile, week 3 was 3/4 mile and by week 4 I should be walking a mile. I did my first mile walk about 4 days post-op.

My recommendation is to take it really, really easy during this healing process. Speaking from experience, 90 days of restricted activity is a small price to pay for many years of pain free and improved quality of life!

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy