Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what are thesymptoms that the plates and screws have come out

wall_carlawwall_carla Posts: 3
edited 06/09/2014 - 5:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had cervical neck fusion almost 9 weeks ago. After lifting off and on about 40 pounds for a total of three days I am in pain. I was doing well and pain was not an issue but now its like the pain is back. I am wonde4ring if I screwed up my own recovery. Base of skull hurts along with lower neck and down into the right shoulder blade area.
Carla wall

• pounds????????
    You need to contact your surgeon asap and let him know what symptoms you are having and be examined and probably xrayed to check the placement of the screws and plates.
  • sparky81ssparky81 Posts: 20
    edited 06/09/2014 - 12:18 PM
    Hello I had neck and upper back 7-8 weeks ago and I cant?not allowed to try/ to lift more than 5 pounds for 12-18 months,why would you take such a huge risk of lifting 40 pounds...this is your life and body your dealing with and not to mention a very VERY expensive surgery...I was fused from around C3 all the way to t4-t5 and c4,c6,and t1 were removed 100% and cages were put in there place along with rods screws and 11 titanium discs....Please ......PLEASE call your surgeon or go to your E.D. for an xray as you did a very poorly judged thing and could of ruined the fusion process that can take up to or above 12 months....please listen to doctors and don't try things like this..its senseless...
  • 1028761102876 Posts: 248
    edited 06/09/2014 - 8:53 PM
    My neurosurgeon wouldn't allow me to do anything close to that and I am 8 months out. My limit is 20 lbs and at 6 months my limit due to neurosurgeons order was only up to 10 pounds. The fusion can't take that much weight during the first 6months to a year! Again your neurosurgeon needs to be called because this could be something more serious than just some pain.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    lifting so soon after surgery and the weight you did far exceeds the norm. Did your surgeon provide you with a list of restrictions and limitations?

Either one, you need to talk to your doctor, tell them what you did and see what they want to do about it.
    Hope for the best, but please think more about what you are doing.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • .my doc ordered an xray and looks to be ok although I not the expert..for four weeks i was sedentary, I'm a production worker, how do any of you continue to work a job with that kind of limit restrictions?? Let's get real here, not to offend anyone but I'm single mom who actually works with machines for a living,i can't just sit at home and not lift.completely UN realistic..What did everyone do for money??
    Carla wall
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 06/10/2014 - 1:19 PM
    i had to wear a brace for 6months and could not lift over 5 lbs for 9 months and could also not bend twist or any other movement with back. it sounds like you have not done any of the above. did you wear a brace? i hate to say it but if you think you broke screws then it might be your fault by not following your drs directions. the metal is made up of titanium which is the strongest metal known to man. it is used on the space shuttle and the warthog jet plane that kills tanks. so breaking the metal seems not to be the proble,m it seems that the pressure of lifting made the screws come out of the bone before it could heal and harden. i would go back to your doctor asap and tell him what you were doing. they might have to go back in to fix the metal. by the way i had to work also but was off for 4 months and then my doctor wrote a whole list of restrictions and accommodations which my work had to follow. you have the right to have accommodations written by your doctor and your work has to follow them. you should have been put on light duty for a while not go back to lifting.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I listened to my Doc and still have problems. What levels did you have done? Don't get upset with any of us we just have experienced a lot of pain and possibly way more down the road. At my 6 month check up my doc said maybe 18 months before fully fused. I was in a hard collar for 3 months and then took a couple of weeks to fully wean off.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    We are getting real here.
    Once you have had spinal surgery, cervical, thoracic or lumbar, you will have restrictions and limitations that you have to adhere to. When you follow those, you have better chances of long term successful outcomes.

When you start to ignore those limitations, you are gambling, gambling with your neck, gambling with your life. You talk about needing to work for income, but how would it be if you totally destroyed your neck and were unable to work.. Then what?

People that have had spinal surgeries have needed to adapt their work environments. For many , it meant changing jobs, a total about face. I cant tell you what you need to do, I know you need income as everyone else does.

Ask your surgeon exactly what you can and can not do..... He is closer to you. Everyone here bases their recommendations on their own personal experiences with surgery and what their surgeons told them what to do or not to do.

Bottom line, uour fate is totally in your hands .... Your choice on what your next moves should be
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My neurosurgeon restricted my lifting or carrying to no more than 9 lbs to start and then no more than 20Lbs after my 3 level fusion in 2012 and I was told that after my next surgery,I am to lift nothing heavier than the Sunday newspaper until I was told BY HIM the surgeon!! You better contact your surgeon ASAP!! Good luck,I am having to go through the surgery again and I followed doctors orders.
  • I have serial cervical fusion of 4'5disks replaced,xrays speed to be good..doc don't don't ..think i should be in any pain and its been hell trying to get pain meds as if I'm faking now how everyone handle pain and how long will it last.
    Carla wall
  • We all understand the need to pay the bills, but the risks of doing what you did, could have far worse repercussions than not being able to pay the bills. Do you have temporary disability? While it is not a great answer, it is one option. Is this a work related injury? Were you cleared by the surgeon to return to work? If not, doing so against the restrictions that your surgeon gave you may be why he is not as understanding as he could be.
    As far as the pain goes, treatment depends on the type of pain, and where it is located. There are injections that can be done to ease the pain, some medications can be used to manage nerve related pain, and some of the over the counter creams and lotions help to ease muscle aches and pains.