Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5,S1 (8mm herniation) L4,L5 (3mm herniation) healing time and advice?

To make a very long story short about 13 weeks ago while finishing up my dental school board exams I had a bout of left side sciatica that set in very quickly (from a little pain 1 week to excruciating pain the next). I managed to walk OK in extreme pain for about 2 and a half weeks and then I have been using crutches to walk and keep the weight off my back ever since. I was finally after 3 weeks able to get an MRI showing 8mm L5, S1 herniation and L4,L5 3mm herniation as well as only 2mm of joint space in my left hip. I am a pretty young guy (37) so this all came on as a surprise and suddenly. I spent almost 2 months mostly on my back due to the pain and that was even while taking 3-4 Norco 7.5s a day. I finally was able to get an epidural spinal injection about 5 weeks ago that took the pain down slightly and a second one last thursday that seemed to do a lot more than the first. I still can't stand for very long though without using my crutches and can only walk short distances. I the pain has truly made my life miserable and definitely the lowest point thus far in my life. I try to stay positive and have hope that this will end but the longer it goes on the harder it is to have much hope. My GP doctor usually only spends a couple of minutes talking with me and has yet to give me any kind of definitive diagnosis and still won't refer me to a neurologist so I can get some better answers. It has been extremely frustrating. He finally agreed to refer me to for PT and I am hoping that will work, but my life has pretty much been "on hold" since this started and I don't know how much longer my wife, my kids, and I can handle this emotionally or financially. The main symptoms I have are pretty classic. unrelenting pain originating in my hip and down my left leg most of the way down my calf. Recently my left small toes have started to burn which I don't know if it is a sign that my condition is getting worse or better. The pain has changed from constant deep pain to more of an electrical burning pain. once again I don't know if it is a good sign or a bad sign.
Sorry for the long intro but this is my main question. Does anyone have any advice or experience on how long or if they had a similar situation and how long did it take to heal and were they able to do it without surgery. I know for me and my career I have to have a solid back or I am done before I start. If surgery is what I need then I have no problem getting surgery. If time will heal a condition like mine without surgery obviously that is better but how long should I give this before I start to consider other options (like I said it has been 13 weeks already and the improvement I feel is mostly after epidural injections with only very slight improvement every few weeks)? I just don't want to cause more damage by waiting too long but if waiting is what I should do then I will just suck it up and keep trying my best to make it one day at a time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just am hoping there is a pathway out of this nightmare and if not I need to find a way to deal with it and not lose hope, Thank you in advance for any help you can offer,