Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introduction

edited 06/09/2014 - 8:11 PM in New Member Introductions
Hello,
I found this site by searching for cervical pain. Personally, I noticed RS's effects when I was about five or six. Clinically, I have had RS since I was 23. Naturally, family and friends thought I was a hypochondriac My mother finally believed me just before I was injecting myself with Enbrel. I asked her why an HMO would spend that type of money for a hypochondriac. She then understood. Sadly, forget about my siblings.

I had have several episodes. During the 1970s when they occurred they would last six to nine months followed by six to nine months of slow recovery. One particular attack in the fall of 1976 started two weeks after I got cellulitis in my left leg. Two weeks later I could barely walk without extreme pain. Two weeks after that I discovered that I had lost nearly fourteen (14) pounds. I began MTX and basically have never stopped except from 2000 to 2010 when I used Enbrel alone. That was a big mistake. During that period the docs replaced my left MCP and both TMJs, and then had a procedure to scrape about 1/4 inch from the "crud" surrounding the bottom of the heel and around the Achilles tendon.

My latest attack started in August 2013 after taking a short 50 mile bike ride through Boston one evening. I had almost recovered from a bus crash (July 2011). [It flipped over at 65mph. I was TKO for three to five minutes. I remember absolutely nothing until someone yanked me from the bus while I was still unconscious. I guess he was afraid of fire even though there was no fire and fire trucks had arrived on the scene]. I had already done a few 40 to 60 miles rides but experienced sharp pain in my right shoulder to arm. The pain usually subsided after two or three days. At that time I was on Enbrel, MTX, and a host of other meds for asthma and kidney stones.

The first day after the ride I was OK (the same pain as other rides). I was flat on my back. I awoke in the middle of the night to the worst pain I have ever felt throughout my entire body. Every movement I took brought searing pain. I thought might be a dream; I did not have to scream too long or too loudly to realize the pain was very real. A month or so later, I had an MRI. It showed an edema around c4-c7. The neuro did not change my meds but suggested a follow-up in six months. The pain gradually subsided. An MRI in March 2014 showed that the edema was not as bad. The neuro told me I could no longer do anything that involved torsional movement; e.g., no lifting over 40 pounds, no biking (the twisting of the neck to look over the shoulder for cars, etc), and basically avoid situations where falls or jarring would raise the risk of further damage.

Anyway, I just started this evening/early morning. I did a few quick searches so maybe I overlooked someone who had similar (not exact) history, pain and/or experience. Be aware that the information above is only a fraction. After all, this is the web. Who knows what TSA, NSA, CIA, FBI, DHS, et. al. might do. Sorry for the "paranoia" but I recently went through TSA with my meds at an airport. The "bozo" (for lack of a non-derogatory term) without asking me for ALL of the following: dumped all my meds including inhalers on a non-sterile stainless steel counter, used his non-sterile latex gloves to open the only liquid med so he could pass a dip strip over the mouth (even though 14 other bottles had the same name, mostly the same pharmacy). His actions shocked me so much that I could not do much as I had ten minutes to get to the gate. When I returned I filed complaints.

Post Edited by Liz for inappropriate content

advertisement

Comments