Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone

Lily2014LLily2014 Posts: 84
edited 06/09/2014 - 11:36 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

I've looked on this site before but never posted but finally plucked up the courage to do so! I am 26 and had microdiscectomy surgery on L5/S1 at 24. Unlike many people here, everything seemed to happen very quickly and within 6 months I went from being very active to unable to walk. I had an MR I after 5 months of right leg sciatica which showed the disc was herniated. The surgery was supposed to be relatively straightforward but when I woke up, the surgeon told me that the disc had fragmented and there were bits of it floating in my spinal canal.All of these bits of disc were removed and I now have 1/3 disc left. The sciatic nerve was also dislodged and they struggled to put it back where it should be as it was pinging back. Since the surgery I still have a lot of pain, now down both legs although worse on my right leg and get back pain quite frequently. I had another MR I 6 months post surgery but the disc has not herniated again so was told it is nerve damage in my legs and mechanical pain in my back due to lack of disc. I am on 300mg pregablin, 300mg codiene every day and 100mg diclofenac when needed.
I have a very supportive family and partner and some of my friends are great (others don't get it!). I'm hoping to meet others who have been through similar experiences and would like to find out whether this pain will ever go
advertisement

Comments

• Lily2014LLily2014 Posts: 84
    edited 06/09/2014 - 11:39 PM
    Sorry that posted too soon! I've been told my surgeon that this situation is likely lifelong but my doctor tells me I will definitely get better and keep positive. I would like to understand more about whether this is likely to get better and if not, how I begin to come to terms with the new me at such a young age without living my life feeling like I can't be who I want to be!

Any thoughts and comments are much appreciated!

Lily
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 06/10/2014 - 4:21 AM
    When was the last time that you had any updated imaging or examinations by the surgeon? Nerve impingement can take some time to improve if it is going to. It depends on how much of the nerve is damaged, the location of the damage and how long it was there. You may still see improvement as more time passes but it might be wise to consult with another surgeon and possibly he may order more current imaging if the last was done more than 6 months ago.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-faq

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/diagnostic-tests/getting-accurate-back-pain-diagnosis
  • Hi thank you. I Haven't had an MRI for over a year. Is there a way to find out how badly the nerve is damaged? And is the level of damage linked to the pain? I was referred to a pain clinic but they said that I don't need nerve conduction tests as my case doesn't seem that bad. I was also told that I shouldn't go to a surgeon unless there is evidence that I need surgery - they said its about 50% chance that ill need a fusion but from the last scan where the disc was the same the pain has steadily stayed quite bad so it'd not likely I need a fusion now. At the moment I'm not sure who else to go to for answers?
  • I would ask the surgeon or even your family doctor to order an emg to see what the status of the nerve is. The thing with an emg is that the nerve damage must be there for at least three months, otherwise you can get a false negative result.
    It does take time for nerves to recover, as I explained a bit earlier, but the pain clinic really shouldn't have much of a problem ordering an emg test if you are still showing signs of nerve issues.
advertisement