Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey World

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
edited 06/11/2014 - 5:34 AM in Depression and Coping
we are not that much different than you.

• We wake up every morning like you do
    We get dress and ready for work or other chores as yo do
    We run our daily errands the same as you do
    We settle in for the evening the way all of you do
Then what is difference t?

All of the above, the average person does without really thinking about it. It is the daily routine for so many and it becomes so regular, you don't even have to think about it.

But it is different

Its easy for the healthy ones to do all of the above. But for those living with chronic pain, we have to measure each activity two see what we can do and what we have to put aside until we build up some more strength.

What so many people take for granted, we take as a measured step.

Years ago, when I was young and full of energy, those daily chores would be nothing, I could whip them out in a flash.
But slowly at 28, my first lumbar surgery...Still I I could do anything.. Then the second, the third lumbar surgery.
It started to take its toll. While I could try to deny the problem when I was in my 20's, I began to realize it was a bigger
problem. Perhaps if I took better care of myself in those early years, IF I listened to the doctors, IF I listened to my wife, IF I did so many things I should have, would I have faced a 4th Lumbar, then 3 Cervical and then the joint destruction as I had both of my shoulders totally replaced with imlants and then both of my hips totally replaced with implants.

So WORLD Listen, listen to our quiet pain, Listen to our whimpering in the middle of he night, listen to our lives.

We can not change how you live or if you dont hear us, but we can change how we live. Can we be like you?
Probably not, but we can strive to get as close to that as possible.

If I want, I will succeed ..............doesn't matter if you hear that or not.

I don't have a chronic pain sticker on my forehead, so you probably don't even know who I am

I walk the streets and can see the people like me, doesn't matter if you are male or female, black or white, American or not American, doesn't matter. We can see each other.

Some day the outside world we see what we see. Until then, we always need to take one step at a time and we always need to make sure that step is going in the right direction...... and for us, its always forward and better
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 06/11/2014 - 8:07 AM
    Normals..."Can we be like you?", No! But we can embrace being different. We can create our own little worlds full of love & adventure. Sometimes we need to do 'normal' things, simple things can be incredibly demanding & take so much out of us. The rest of the time is ours...Own it! We can lay on the ground & have adventures in the clouds or stars with our kids & loved ones.

“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but I chose neither one. Instead, I set sail in my little boat to watch a sunset from a different view that couldn't be seen from shore. Then I climbed the tallest mountain peak to watch the amber sun through the clouds. Finally, I traveled to the darkest part of the valley to see the last glimmering rays of light through the misty fog. It was every perspective I experienced on my journey that left the leaves trodden black, and that has made all the difference.” 
    ― Shannon L. Alder

We can also curl up in the darkness & weep..it's all part of the journey.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I don't think anyone with as much arthritis as you could have done anything different. We are not in control from what I understand of that process. I worked out, was at the right weight the majority of my life until all the aches and pains. The cervical arthritic stenosis was just caused from arthritis and I could have done nothing differently to have avoided that. As far as the rest of my spine with aggressive arthritis again nothing that I could prevent. I would like to print this out for some of my family members to read. Well written again Ron and I am in the process of reading your article that you mentioned.
  • I suffered depression as result of job loss, relationship issues and I can truly say I understand what it feels like to be excluded, to feel like you are not normal. It is a struggle, maybe impossible to feel great when you have a long term medical issue...my only advice would be to face a fear you have, figure out a way to do one thing you think you can't and prove to yourself that you can do it despite all of your pain. That kind of success makes you feel more confident in yourself....even shows others you are not helpless.
  • "I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it's true I'm here, and I'm just as strange as you.” 
    Frida Kahlo
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • IamMonkeyDLuffyIIamMonkeyDLuffy Posts: 43
    edited 07/17/2014 - 7:31 PM
    I used to be depressed and suffered from anxiety issues in grade school. The people I thought were my friends didn’t get it and thought it would be fun to bully me. This went up for a bit, until found a true friend and it livened me up.
    "When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten."