Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain and opiate article

ADRJenAADRJen Posts: 211
edited 06/11/2014 - 3:08 AM in Chronic Pain
Be sure to read the comments too. Most are on "our side".

Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil

• Thank you! Before I read & get into this one.. Has anyone seen any recent statistics? We've been reading "Prescription drugs cause more overdoses than heroin & cocaine combined" for years now. All of the safe guards that have been put in place must be making a difference. I keep reading that heroin deaths are on the rise again. (I never thought cocaine alone was a big OD risk I need to look into that). Are ALL overdoses drastically increasing?

Thanks again. I like reading & discussing articles. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I keep reading statements like, "This is a national tragedy that's not being addressed" but a huge amount of time & money has been directed at addressing this problem. I wish they would include more information on what has been done & the effects it's having...including the ever increasing reports of chronic pain patients not receiving the legitimate medications that they need to function. Surely prescription tracking & closing 'pill mills' & all the anti abuse deterrents have made an impact?!?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I hate all the negative comments about RX pain meds. Over 16,000 people have died from pain meds according to feds. How many people die from alcohol related car accidents? Is the gov. shutting down bars or auto plants? No because that would be crazy. So is keeping pain meds from legitimate pts. I suffer from osteoarthritis, fibro, and deg. back issues and rely on my pain meds to have some quality of life. I fear every time I go to the Dr. that some new reg. will put a snag in my meds.
    All these deaths are from what overdoses by leg. pts or drug abusers? How many people commit suicide from unbearable pain?
    Why isn't there better treatment for chronic pain?? Spend some money on that.
    linda clark
  • JAM661JJAM661 Posts: 121
    edited 06/24/2014 - 10:24 AM
    It seems like all you hear is the bad stuff instead of how pain meds help millions being able to have a better quality of life for those who have chronic pain. It is even more scary when you hear doctors or other so call experts state that opiate medications should never be given long term and that other medications work better and are much safer. They also tend to leave out one VERY important fact - That 85% of those who die from a accidental overdoses from opiate medications also have alcohol or tranquilizers in there system. When it comes to alcohol and pain medication all it takes is 2 or 3 drinks and your pain meds for you to get into trouble breathing or even have it stop.
  • against pain relief meds where to go through what I {and many of you ] go through just in ONE 24 hour period I am sure they would not be so quick on criticising these potential life saving drugs .I also know that they can and do kill .but if taken properly they make life bearable .I have been on the painkiller ladder for over 16 years I started on 30/500 codeine /paracetamol but soon reached the maximum safe dose and the drugs became ineffective I am unable to take the gaba type drugs so I was put on oxycontin and at first I was on just 10mg twice a day and I had NO pain for around 6 months then the pain came back and I needed more meds then I had another operation the fusion and needed even more meds I am now on a high dose but I have not had to ;;up ;; my meds in 2 years and although it doesn't remove all my pain it helps around 30% its just enough to make the day bearable I am never out of pain ..I could not go 12 hours without meds the pain is off the scale and the withdrawal amplifies the pain beyond words ..that's why its so important to keep on top of the pain because once its gets away from you ..getting back in control is hard work and very draining no one want to live in pain and no one want to be dependant on powerful meds but its a must for so many of us ,,anyone that says they don't always have to take pain meds and can do many ;;normal;; things are not in as much pain as they think ..genuine pain will stop you from doing things genuine pain will wake you genuine pain will take away your ability to do things like have a sex life /go shopping wear normal clothing.. do and take part in events ..I think that drugs like oxycontin should be given to people that need it .anyone that takes it for ;;fun ;;is mad
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Tony. In the USA you hear about prescription drug abuse everywhere. Have you noticed that press dramatization starting in England? I was reading the European & english guidelines for prescribing narcotics, it's so different from here. There was hardly any mention of abuse at all & no contracts, urine tests, etc.

I read a couple of studies that came to the conclusion that actually giving more narcotics at the start of spine problems has been shown to reduce the potential for long term chronic pain issues. I found that very interesting for me because I have no doubt that my random nerve pain issues (parts of my body that can't possibly be the physical result of spine damage) are a direct result of my body 'short circuiting' because of unmanaged pain years ago.

The DEA in charge of prescription drug issues in Texas gave an interview for doctors years ago. In conclusion he stated 'god forbid I'm ever a chronic pain sufferer who can't get the medications I need to function'. I hope he continues to keep that in mind everyday!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.