Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck fusion

I had my neck fussed in June of 2010 and i feel so much worse. I had c3.4.5 fussed with a plate and 6 screws. Only after the surgery did my Dr tell me he used a cadaver bone. I wasn't very happy to hear that. To make a long story short it is now 4 yrs later and im having cramps so bad it feels like a baseball in my neck and the head aches get so bad i can't even open my eyes. Pain meds don't touch the pain i don't know how much longer i can live like this.

• Have you returned to the surgeon since your surgery? What kind of doctor are you currently seeing? Have you considered consulting with another surgeon to see if he thinks that there is anything else that can be done?
    Using cadaver bone is perfectly acceptable, and it saves the patient from having to undergo the process to remove the bone graft from the patient's hip.
    Do you know if the fusion process ever completed from this surgery?
    If not, it might be wise to start with either your old surgeon or a new one to see what the current status is of your neck and then discuss ideas for more options going forward.

• I had C 5,6,7 fuzed in 2011 and have had on and off severe symptoms ever since, ranging from severe arm and neck pain, to being stuck flat on my back in bed for weeks. some days or even weeks at a time, i am pretty much fine, but then suddenly I will have some sort of 'relapse', not triggered by any discernable activity. Still being evaluated, as everything seems 'intact, there are no signs of stenosis, the bone graft took, and no further damage to that area. I also have possible disc herniation in the lumbar-thoracic region so that may have something to do with some of it, but not the arm symptoms. SO frustrating. I had been warned that my surgery was not done for 'improvement, but rather to prevent aralysis and worsening.
  • In 2010 I had C3-4, 4-5 n 5-6 fixed with cadaver bone, a piece of titanium and 6 screws put in my neck. It had been working until late last summer and the migraines have been coming back. The meds they give me aren't helping and the only thing that does is going to the ER and getting my "cocktail" as they call it. I'm afraid that I might have to go back and have the dr fix C1-2 n 2-3. That's where the pain starts, just like before I had the other neck surgery. It feels like the same nerve gets into that spot and it spreads to my whole head causing a migraine. I lay down, take my headache meds and stay where it's quiet but like I said I almost always end up at the ER.
  • Sorry I took so long getting back to you. Yes I went back to the surgeon who performed my surgery. He won't see me now. I feel like I was just a pay check. I have come/ and still do/ to just ending it. Going on 7 years now I don't know how much longer I can take it. I'm not trying to sound unstable but this is really tough to deal with all by myself.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,130

Welcome back.

I had spasms at my shoulder blade which continued after my first surgery.  I worked with my primary care physician to get referred to a sports medicine doctor to work on diagnosing the cause.  After trying some things, it lead to an MRI and back to the surgeon because I had another disk that was still bulging.

For me it was clear that the surgeon thought he was done after the first surgery, and my PCP thought that it was the surgeon's responsibility.  So it just took an honest open discussion with my PCP to get things going forward again.

You sound like someone in pain, not so much unstable.  This is great place to discuss it.

Spine-health Moderator

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.