Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shin and foot numbness

I had total lumbar fusion last Dec. Yesterday out of the blue my right leg became unbearably painful. ER thought it was from my hip (had hip replacement in 2005) but x rays look fine. Today my right shin and top of foot are numb. My gait is unsteady.
My neurosurgeon has ordered a CT. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? I NEED my life back!
Ellen Arnel

• I have experienced something similar, also after surgery. After I had my pain pump put in I began to have leg pain down the back of my right leg and also in the soul and my foot. My pain pump was placed right above my right hip. I had the fusion for scoliosis about 14 years ago, so we have both had fusions. I had an MRI with contrast, x-rays, and also a nerve conduction test done to try to find the cause of the tingling and numbness that was new after the surgery. Unfortunately, they didn't find the cause. I believe the cause is from the placement of the pain pump. Something that helps me with the numbness is getting a massage. When the therapist touches certain areas feels like the blood is beginning to flow again in my leg and my foot.
    I know exactly what you mean when you're saying that you need your life back. It feels like everything can just be yanked away from you in a second. Has your CT been scheduled? How are you doing today?
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • Thank you, Lmr206. I had a CT last Friday and my appt with neurosurgeon is tomorrow. I really try to be positive but that fusion surgery was pure hell. As soon as I felt like I was getting my life back, BAM! A new issue. I really appreciate your reply.
    Is your foot drop permanent? I have ordered an x-strap so hopefully that will help.
    After that awful surgery, I guess I should not be so upset. I just hate using a walker again, and the resulting pain in hip and back. I hold onto God, knowing He has a plan. I just wish I could know the future!! I will update tomorrow. Thank you for caring!
    Ellen Arnel
  • How did the CT follow up appointment go? What is an X strap?
    I don't know if my numbness and tingling qualifies me as having a footdrop, I do know that I haven't been diagnosed with it. However that doesn't always mean you don't have it. Like many others, I have had a hard road attempting to find out what the generator of my pain is. There is still no definitive answer, but I believe it is muscle pain caused by previous surgeries and also scoliosis. Did you have to go back to using the walker when the shin and the foot numbness started?
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • Neurosurgeon says it "looks and acts like" disc herniation. Having a myelagram next week to confirm if it is herniation of L5-S1. If so, yet another fusion. It's the only one he had not fused last Dec as my body had fused it itself. But it may have "infused" itself. If negative for that, then having a nerve conduction test. I fear another fusion is in my future. Scares the shell out of me. A microdisectomy would fix but he feels like fusion would secure it. Guess time will tell. Thanks so much!
    Ellen Arnel
  • X strap is a contraption that helps raise your numb foot. Look it up online. Really helps. Hope they find the cause of your problem as well!
    Ellen Arnel
  • jeffrybridenjjeffrybriden Posts: 3
    edited 06/27/2014 - 8:01 AM
    Post edited by Sandi. Posting advertising and links to products are not permitted on Spine Health forums. Please review the forum rules you agreed to prior to posting.

- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
    You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.

• Sorry. I really didn't mean to advertise! Just mentioned something that has helped me!
    Ellen Arnel