Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated discs & Microdiscectomy. only for leg pain?

thursdaytthursday Posts: 12
edited 06/12/2014 - 6:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read my thread

i have an annular tear in L3/L4 along with a herniated disc at L5/S1. The annular tear was caused by an injury last year, and the herniated disc was caused by a recent car accident

I had been making some progress until the accident, but my lower back pain is excruciating. At the time of the accident I was having a lot of discogenic pain in my lower back, along with numbness in the legs

As time has passed, most of my pain is contained to the disc and surrounding lower back area. (also have mid-back & neck pain, but that's another story) I only have numbness in the legs when I am having a flare up. So the disc & lower back area hurts daily & consistently, but the leg pain is something that happens intermittently or if I drive for more than 15 minutes or so

Is a discectomy mainly to help the pain of the disc and lower back area? Or is it more for the leg pain/numbness?

each time i go to the doctor, i feel confident in what he prescribes & suggests, until i leave and do my own research. that is when i get scared

i am very young & have been trying to avoid surgery, but i dont want to avoid something any longer if it has a chance of giving me relief

i know that this forum does not provide medical advice from doctors, but i really would like some opinions of members who have had this done and maybe are in a similar spot as me

thank you very much, and be well