Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi fellow spineys.

My doc took me off of hydrocodone and I don't take it any more. Because my pain has intensified, he wants me to try Savella. Does anyone have experience titrating up and taking this on a long term basis? I'm nervous about what I've read, but it was a few years ago that these points of view are coming from.

Please let me know if you have or know of someone that has experience with this med.

• Hi Cath,
    Unfortunately, I know nothing about savella other than what I have seen and heard . I hope someone has more help for you. Have you checked the manufacturer's website? They always have the information, dosing and adverse information on their websites.
  • Yes, I've been looking around the web and know its possible side effects, etc., but I'd like to hear real-world answers as to how this medicine has affected others, how long it took to notice relief, etc. But thank you for replying. I don't think a lot of people take this medicine and I'm not sure why.
  • Isn't it one of the biologics? If it is, it might help to find others who suffer from things like MS, or autoimmune disorders since I think that those types of meds are used more often in those situations. I wish that I knew more about it than I do, and what I do know isn't much when it comes to this class of medications.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 06/13/2014 - 11:41 AM
    I've tried Savella. It's an alternative to Lyrica. Please remember we're all very different when it comes to side effects. You probably won't share me experience. I couldn't continue taking Lyrica, it just didn't agree with me. I had the manufacturers titration pack. It's important that you take it slow..

To begin with it made me really sleepy. After a few days I started crying uncontrollably.. I'm usually pretty level headed so this was disturbing. I got a bit (understatement) depressed. It reached the point that it actually became comical because I was just crying 24/7 & couldn't stop myself. Even if I was laughing I was crying.
    Around week 2 I developed crippling pain in my shoulders & neck. This wasn't like fibromyalgia pain, it was far worse. That created bad migraines. I really wanted this med to work so I did a lot of research & found several other people who had similar at the same time in titration so I pressed on. This stage lasted just over a week before it started to slowly fade.
    By the time I reached the end of titration most side effects had nearly gone. I was just left with sleepiness but I have that for a while with all those kinds of medications. Unfortunately I developed high blood pressure & started to have palpitations around month 2. It wasn't doing anything for my pain so I started titrating down. That was easier than going up but the eye leaking returned for a while.

We're all different but to be honest it was the worse med I've ever tried ;-(

I've had a lot of luck with trigger/pressure point shots. The ones that inject lidocaine or Botox with steroids straight into the cramping muscles. I ice straight after & stretch religiously. No side effects, lots of pain relief ;-)

Good luck if you do try Savella. Some have had great results! I spoke to a woman who had the same reactions, at the same times. She didn't have the heart problems so she kept taking it & says its the best medication..she's got her life back after years of suffering. Sometimes if you know what to expect these things are more tolerable. Let me know how it goes.

Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • It seems chemically similar to Cymbalta, which I have taken for depression for years. I remember feeling a bit unwell for the first few days but since then it's been fine.
  • I took Cymbalta for a couple of years. I had a little sleepiness at the start but no other side effects with that one. We're all so different with medications. The only way to really know how you're going to react is to try them. I do find it useful to know what others have been through so I can be prepared, just in case. I never start new meds with bad reported side effects when I'm alone with my kids.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I was on it for 3 weeks. I couldn't continue because of nausea. Doctor said that my opiate Rx are eating my stomach lining. He gave it to me for depression.
    Being kind is free so spread it at every opportunity
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 07/10/2014 - 7:19 AM
    Chewing ginger gum & sweets really helped with the constant nausea with Savella. Sorry, I forgot that side effect until you mentioned it. I was on Cymbalta & Savella at the same time. I started Savella when it became clear I couldn't take Lyrica.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.