Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint Dysfunction

shgadwasshgadwa Posts: 2
edited 06/15/2014 - 6:52 PM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This is gonna be long, I'm sorry.

I have SI Joint dysfunction. I do not recall any specific event that caused it but I've had chronic debilitating pain for over a year now. Just after I got out of air force basic training. Pain is primarily on my left pelvis although I usually get a sharp tingling pain near center of my pelvis, primarily slightly towards the left. Usually get pain that shoots halfway down my leg but not always. My pelvis cracks often. When I walk, when I do exercises and stretches. It moves around a lot. And occasionally my pain will almost completely go away from my left side and switch to my right side. I can feel when the joint is out of alignment.

I have seen a total of almost 20 doctors, therapist, ortho, pain management clinic, massage therapist, etc. A total of 3 chiropractors and 5 physical therapists. Partly due to getting stationed at a new base. I've been completely misdiagnosed. From "you're probably just trying to get out of a PT test" to "you don't have any cartilage in your hip. You may need a hip replacement." Idiot read the xrays wrong. I have a bone island.

Almost every person I saw has failed to give me an official diagnose other than that I might have sacroilitis. I've been treated for si joint Hypomobility. Lots of stretching and exercises. Chiro adjusted me often to further mobilize it. It only made things worse. The only thing that helped was a steroid injection in my left SI joint, lasted for 2 weeks.

I got a new chiropractor a couple months ago who took xrays of me standing and found 13 degree curve in my lumbar spine. He said the scoliosis was messing up my SI joint so we need to treat that first. Although he's a very good chiropractor (and the ONLY one who had the common sense to do a W.B. xray), his 2x/wk manipulations have been making things much much worse.

It came to a point where I could hardly function. I was walking with a strong limp. I ended up in the ER so that I could get some pain pills. They gave me a 2 weeks supply of Norco, Robaxin, and Naproxen. Made my pain bearable but didn't make it go away. So,*EDITED* off at doctors I ended up doing a ton of research. I determined that I must have SI joint Hypermobility and all the stretches, manipulations, heat, massage, etc... only makes it worse because I'm moving a joint that already moves too much. I asked my doctor and chiropractor about this and was told that its normal for joints to pop occasionally. One doctor even told me that its most likely that the joint is inflamed so the muscles are *EDITED* off and they click from time to time. I'm sorry but I know what its like for my entire pelvis to move in a way that its not supposed to move.

Last week I just couldn't take it anymore. My girlfriend bought me a * EDITED Brand name *SI belt (which helps a lot, literally the difference between walking without a limp and walking normally). I ended up taking the entire week off and for the most part, rested in my bed. From that I feel a lot better but am not out of the woods yet.

This morning I saw a new Physical Therapist. Initial impression was that he's just like all the rest even though I thought I'd like him because he's civilian and I'm starting to not like military doctors. He examined me, looked at my xrays and MRI. Told me a couple discs in my lower back could benefit from spinal decompression but it looks like I have SI Joint Hypomobility and need to mobilize. Which I was thinking "Yikes. More stretches and such that never worked before." I asked him why the SI belt helps if the joint is too tight as it is. He told me that puzzled him but continued w/ the examination. Eventually he found out that when lying on my stomach, testing my hip rotation it was opposite of what it should be. Moved freely in one direction but couldn't move in the other direction. Furthermore any movement of crossing my legs almost instantly caused the other pelvis to rotate. He could actually hear it clicking and even though he previously told me that the SI joint almost never moves more than a millimeter and I definitely don't have hypermobility, he then changed his mind. Told me that both my hips are hypomobile which has caused my SI joints to be hypermobile, and that is what is causing the curve in my spine. He was so dumbfounded he told me he's never seen that before and actually called in a student to teach him something.

So his recommended treatment is to mobilize the hips while trying to immobilize the SI joint. He gave me some exercises and stretches to do. One is to sit down with my back straight, cross my legs and push down on my knee.

So I'm unsure what to do honestly. I'm sure I have SI joint hypermobility. I'm afraid he's going to mobilize my hips and then make my SI joint irritated again. I really hope it doesn't get to the point where I can't do my job as the last few weeks have been. I've come to really hate any kind of stretching as I'm convinced that it stretches already loose ligaments. However this is the most helpful person I've seen even if he is the 20th person I've seen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post edited by Sandi- the use of foul, obscene or vulgar language is NOT permitted on Spine Health.
Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.