Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! What is going on? :(

Hello everyone, new here and I'm in some serious need of help & understanding as to what is going on with me.
I hardly know where to start.
I've had hip & lower back pain for a long long time. Had X-rays done twice & pelvic X-ray.
Nothing significant showed up! Minor wear and tear lower back, nothing on hip which can be excruciating at times.
I also had the odd stab of eye pain and stranger still I had itching arches of feet which I couldn't scratch.
I couldn't sleep but haven't slept much in years - very bad sleeper but really wanted to! Very frustrating.

So this all peaked in march when I was extremely stressed and had severe anxiety over numerous things going on in my life and I ended up in bed, not eating and really over anxious.
After a particularly bad day my adrenaline was through the roof, my BP was EXTREMELY high and - this is the only way I can describe it - that something "hit" my central back causing me to arch and tense in extreme agony, the pains shot up to the back of my head and remained between back & head for a while. My legs and arms went cold & shivery & my body started to shake where I felt like I had a fever!
I'm guessing I went into shock.
The pains then started firing around my body like electric shocks everywhere, stabbing any part of my body at all, going down toes, fingers, in extreme pain.
I seriously thought I would die. I initially thought for some obscure reason OMG I have meningitis or something.
It all kind of subsided but I'm left with pain as it was before in hip & back like severe bruising.

I have terrible nerve pain which just stabs, prickles, shoots for seconds at a time at any random part of my body at all from head to toes. Literally anywhere.

I also have a few other symptoms now with joints in wrists & fingers! Sometimes ankles!
& one of the worst is stabbing eye pain.
It's just madness & driving me crazy.

Two GP's at my Doctors surgery have said fibromyalgia - and I'm on gabapentin 900mg 3 times a day.
After numerous visits & so many blood tests they found I'm below normal for folic acid and vitamin D.
B12 is fine.
I've been tested for bone cancer, cervical cancer, all routine bloodwork, vitamins, rheumatic problems etc all of which are clear.
In my opinion wouldn't fibromyalgia show up as rheumatic?

Or is there more going on here with my back/spine.
It's the nerve pain I can't cope with.

Please please reply with anything you feel relevant.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

• I wouldn't give-up searching for your original pain generator. Have you ever had a MRI to check for damage? I have a lot of structural damage in my back. When my pain wasn't managed effectively I had very similar problems & some doctors called it fibromyalgia. Do you take an anxiety medication? I take Pristiq 24hr & it's helped with fatigue & soaring vitals. Trigger point injections of lidocaine/Botox & steroids have also helped tremendously in the past.

I've recently been through very painful surgery & my 'other' symptoms have returned. Mine are clearly a reaction to extreme pain. In the past managing my pain & treating the different symptoms has been very effective.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Fibromyalgia is diagnosed from a list of symptoms. There is no test for it & it's not a form of arthritis so it wouldn't show on rheumatism tests.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Thank you for your replies.
    No I've not had an MRI yet but I'm hoping to get one when I see my neurologist.
    Appointment isn't through yet.
    My symptoms are driving me crazy.
    I don't know if anxiety caused my pain that night or my pain caused the anxiety and further symptoms of elec shock pain.

Tonight my tongue is tingling, my jaw, elec shock pains randomly hitting hands legs head - all over!

An update though on the stabbing eye pain - I booked & had a thorough eye test appointment yesterday and told my optician what's been going on - she said my optic nerve was fine & healthy - no inflammation at all.

-.- which is good news but puzzling.

Can I just ask - is fibromyalgia an actual illness (please don't get me wrong I know it's very real) or is it actually a term of symptoms from something else?? Something else underlying?

Thank you for taking the time to read this - I really appreciate it x
  • I don't take anxiety medication as to be honest I never thought I needed it.
    I thought I was coping so well until that night where I fell to pieces basically! No idea what on earth happened!

Could an anxiety attack actually cause the body to go into shock & damage the nervous system?

• I never suffered from anxiety. I'm a very laid back, easy going kind of person. The logic behind the anxiety medication is that intense pain can create the 'fight or flight' response in the body. The meds help to manage those symptoms. Crazy nerve pain is notoriously hard to diagnose. In my case it's very much a response to underlying pain but for some there's not a pre-existing condition.

Good luck with getting to the bottom of all this.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.