Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Arachnoiditis, maybe?

--I am not really sure where to begin with this message, but here goes. I have a history of spina bifida/tethered spinal cord and had my cord de-tethered when I was 23 due to deteriorating bladder and bowels--otherwise I was symptom free. Everything went well, except for a spinal fluid leak which I had to have another surgery to patch up a month later. All went fine with this until..........

Ten years later (last November), I started having severe back pain when sitting mainly in my buttock region and noticed leg tingling and pain throughout the day as well. I went through all kinds of possibilities with my doctors including piriformis syndrome and SI joint pain. I then had several opinions from neurosurgeons in which they told me my cord was tethered again, which was revealed on an MRI. I had surgery April 2nd of this year and I am not better, in fact I feel worse: back/leg pain, and leg stinging/burning on the left side--incredibly painful. I really have a hard time sitting for long periods of time and often wear an ice pack in order help with the pain. I am also taking Lyrica, Tramodol, Valium (for some of the twitching and to help me sleep at night) and even morphine at times to help with severe break-through pain. My neurosurgeon is baffled that I am not better, and so am I given he told me I'd be fine after the surgery. He said it went well. He did mention arachnoid adhesions that he had to operate on. I have a follow-up appointment with him in a month and I'm afraid there's not a lot he can do at this point.

I saw a neurologist this morning who is also baffled by my symptoms and referred me to a pain management clinic and also sent me to have an MRI with and w/o contrast for my lumbar spine post surgery. He said something about getting a spinal tap to see what my white blood cell count would be and that would reveal whether or not I had arachnoiditis. My question: has anyone had this done? can you tell if you have this based just on an MRI or do I need the spinal tap? I live in Atlanta, where we have some of the best medical care, but I am at a loss here for help and who might best be able to understand what's going on. According to my neurologist, he is not aware of anyone who specializes in arachnoiditis and how best to treat it/look for it. Has anyone had this issue? It's been a long journey and I am frustrated in not knowing what exactly is going on. I am 33-years-old and have a 5 and a 2 year old. I am a full-time high school teacher just trying to survive right now and I am borderline depressed about all of this. If any of you have advice/knowledge on this rare spinal disorder, please share--who to see, where to go, and how best to "manage" it as I believe there is no cure for this. I have read the plethora of websites out there, but looking for advice elsewhere.

Thanks for anything you can offer.
Jennifer Kunz