Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worse sciatic pain after microdiscectomy

chupps1921cchupps1921 Posts: 1
edited 06/17/2014 - 2:05 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a microdiscectomy L5/S1 on May 30th. I injured my back in November 2013 trying to move a bookcase filled with book. I ended up with a 9mm extrusion. My pain became less and more manageable after having an epidural in February. I only needed ibuprofen to function throughout the day. After my surgery, I walked the next day and noticed the sciatic pain was much worse than before surgery and there was extreme numbness in my middle three toes. The pain seemed to continue to worsen. When I went to my post op ten days after surgery, my surgeon sent me to ER because I was in such extreme pain I could barely walk. He thought I had a new disc fragment. My MRI showed a swollen nerve root. I ended up getting a nerve block, spending five more days in the hospital for pain control, and came home five days ago on prednisone, lyrica, and hydrocosone. I have been instructed to lay around mostly, not to sit, and to take a few small walks. I have also been told to stay away from groups of people due to the medications depleting the immune system. I have continued pain in my butt and back of my leg. The numbness in my toes is gone, but there is a warm feeling often in my foot. I'm depressed and struggling with the pain and limitations. I'm also wondering if these drugs are just to mask the symptoms or if they will actually fix the problem. At this point, I'm worried about my future quality of life. I have two children and a husband who are now taking on all the responsibilities of caring for me. Has anyone experienced worse pain after this type of surgery? Has the pain gone completely? How long did it take? What should I expect? I know it has only been 18 days since my surgery, but I didn't expect to have worse symptoms after. Also, changing positions has an effect on the pain. If it is just nerve pain, why would positioning affect the pain?