Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-L5 microdisectomy recovery diary

Hi all,

I just had a microdiscectomy and thought my operation and recovery thus far may be useful to someone. Below is my situation

Activity: triathlete / ironman / golf / rugby
Issue: L4/L5 disc herniation for 13 years. Severe sciatica / numbness and paravertibral shift right leg for 3 months
Treatment: steroid injection x2, no effect. Microdiscectomy carried out 2 weeks ago

Day 1: woke up with 1cm incision in back, 10p size disc herniation removed. Wound painful but all sciatic pain gone and no numbness. No post op complications. Got out of bed and did a wee 3 hours after surgery.
Day 2: tired and incision sore, managed to walk 100m and do two flights of stairs. Discharged with codeine and anti inflammatory drugs.
Day 3: did 4 walks of 500m, did physio stretching 4 times. When not moving I lie down I do not sit. Managed a shower., not taking pain killers
Day 4: same as day 3
Day 5: did 2 1km walks. Introduced 2 more physio stretches, now doing 6 different stretches 4 times a day
Day 6: did 3 1 km walks and physio stretching.
Day 7: same as above
Day 8: started light scar massage, did 30 mins pool walking and am doing swiss ball work. Feeling good, incision pain almost gone but scar feels tight
Day 9: another pool walking session and a few lengths. 2 walks and more stretching. Saw surgeon who is pleased with progress.
Day 10: 3km walk, swiss ball work, physio session working scar. Feeling looser but back muscles still not fully relaxed and aligned
Day 11. 20 lengths in the pool plus pool walk. Swiss ball work. Still avoiding siting when possible
Day 12: driving not a problem, same as day 11
Day 13: another physio session working the scar and building up my physio routines. Back muscles looser. Still trying to avoid siting

That's me so far. I have been as active as possible being careful to bend correctly and slowly and listen to my body. Looking to cycle in 3 weeks time

Hope this helps and shows this procedure can be successful
Good luck